Facebook login is not available anymore due to Facebook policy. If you need access to your old account send a mail with username and your actual mail.

IMPORTANT: Routing and Elevation API are limited to 7000 calls per day. In case they are expired, they won't work until limit is re-charged. You can try in this case to do a GPX on RideWithGPS site and import it on the editor

Please don't spam us mail and PMs that we won't answer and notice that the official language of forum is English.

Roadbooks: LINK

Comment with us the races in the discussion thread or in the Telegram Chat

2021 Season Contests
Contest #9: End of Season Contest - VOTING

Contest #9 - End of Season Contest [Cat. 2] - Final contest!

Compete in the contests and become the best stagemaker!
emmea90
Direttore Sportivo terza divisione

Post by emmea90 »

The last contest of the 2021 season will be about the usual end of season races

The contest will be about the final week of racing in Italy. In particular
1) Giro dell'Emilia (region: Emilia-Romagna)
2) Tre Valli Varesine (region: Lombardia)
3) Milano-Torino (region: from Lombardia to Piemonte)
4) Gran Piemonte (region: Piemonte)
5) Il Lombardia (region: Lombardia)

You are asked to re-create similar race, keeping the most "particular" aspect of the original races (for references of Il Lombardia, use version with Como finish)... but in Southern Italy.

In addition to that, the geography of the race shall "match" the original geographical features of the original races. So:
- Giro dell'Emilia shall start and end in a same region. Having the final climb ending up on a church, is a plus.
- Milano-Torino shall start and end near two cities that are the capital of their italian region, and the regions shall be nearby and different from the Giro dell'Emilia one
- Tre Valli varesine shall be held in the same region in which Milano-Torino starts, no more than 50-80 km from the start of Milano-Torino
- Gran Piemonte shall be held in the same region in which Milano-Torino finishes
- Il Lombardia shall be held in the same region in which Milano-Torino starts, but of course not in the zone of your tre valli.
- The three regions in which you choose to hold the race shall share a border, in particular the region picked as a substitute of Lombardia region shall share a border with both the other two.
- You cannot go "extra" out of a region if the original race doesn't do it too. Basically, the only race that allows you to cross one time the border of a region is Milano-Torino

Are considered southern Italy the following regions:
- Abruzzo, Molise, Campania, Puglia, Basilicata, Calabria, Sicilia
- Please take note that due to the constraints above, Sicilia can be used only for Giro dell'Emilia. And that forces you to use "Calabria" as a Lombardia replacements for the other races due to the last constraints
- We basically allow you to consider the "stretto di Messina" a border being only 3 km long

Deadline will be on October 9, 2021 when first rider will cross the finish line in Giro di Lombardia.

For non italians: reference on Italian region and capital towns: https://i.pinimg.com/474x/67/71/21/6771 ... 1d9a19.jpg
Software Engineer, Cycling Fanatic
Will4563
Spettatore

Re: Contest #9 - End of Season Contest [Cat. 2] - Final contest!

Post by Will4563 »

emmea90 wrote: 21/09/2021, 9:41
Deadline will be on October 9, 2021 when first rider will cross the finish line in Giro di Lombardia.
So when Jonas Vingegaard crossses the line? :ris:
Last edited by Will4563 on 21/09/2021, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
benoît.guillot
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by benoît.guillot »

So, no World Championship contest :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:
Will4563
Spettatore

Post by Will4563 »

- Milano-Torino shall start and end near two cities that are the capital of their italian region, and the regions shall be nearby and different from the Giro dell'Emilia one
How close is near? And how long can the race be?
davandluz
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by davandluz »

Which version of the Gran Piemonte shall we emulate? Over the years, it has been a sprinters classic, one for puncheurs, and even for pure climbers.
Will4563
Spettatore

Post by Will4563 »

I think I've come to a conclusion that Sicilia cannot be used, because then you need to use Calabria as Lomabardia, and Basilicata for Piemonte, but then the Milano-Torino, would be like 250+ kilometers. If I'm right, I need to change my plans.
emmea90

Post by emmea90 »

Will4563 wrote: 21/09/2021, 11:24
How close is near? And how long can the race be?
Near means in the suburbs of the capital of the region as maximum.
emmea90

Post by emmea90 »

davandluz wrote: 21/09/2021, 13:39 Which version of the Gran Piemonte shall we emulate? Over the years, it has been a sprinters classic, one for puncheurs, and even for pure climbers.
Totally free there as there isn't a standard edition.
Will4563
Spettatore

Post by Will4563 »

Is it okay to start Milano-Torino in the Province of Catanzaro and finish in the Province of Potenza, because the race would be to long if you started and finished in the cities?
emmea90

Post by emmea90 »

Will4563 wrote: 22/09/2021, 7:40 Is it okay to start Milano-Torino in the Province of Catanzaro and finish in the Province of Potenza, because the race would be to long if you started and finished in the cities?
Yes
Will4563
Spettatore

Post by Will4563 »

emmea90 wrote: 23/09/2021, 9:09
Will4563 wrote: 22/09/2021, 7:40 Is it okay to start Milano-Torino in the Province of Catanzaro and finish in the Province of Potenza, because the race would be to long if you started and finished in the cities?
Yes
I've already made another route.
Will4563
Spettatore

Post by Will4563 »

Here is my submission:

I've used Calabria as Emilia-Romagna, Basilicata as Lombardia and Campania as Piemonte.

All the tracks is in this Tour: maps/tours/view/19538

Spoiler!
Giro dell'Calabria (Giro dell'Emilia)

The Giro dell'Calabria is in the Calabria region. There is 4 climbs before the last 5 rounds up to the Chiesa Di San Michele Arcangelo, a catholic church.

Tre Valli Basilicata (Tre Valli Varesine)

The Tre Valli Basilicata is in the Basilicata region. The route has two climbs, before driving four times on a smaller lap, and then two times on a bigger lap.

Potenza - Napoli (Milano - Torino)

The Potenza - Napoli is from the Basilicata region to the Campania region. The route climbs parts of the Vesuvio volcana.

Gran Campania (Gran Piemonte)

The Gran Campania is in the Campania region. The route offers plenty of climbing. First there are 7 climbs, before the riders enters a lap they are going to ride two times with 4 climbs, 2 of the climbs is very steep.

Il Basilicata (Il Lombardia)
The Il Basilicata is in the Basilicata region. The route goes from the east side of the pennisulla to the west side and have 6 climbs, the last 4th is the highest, and the last is very steep.

Rmax85
Spettatore

Post by Rmax85 »

Hi,

Here is my proposal for this contest : maps/tours/view/19549
Spoiler!
1) Giro dell'Emilia (region: Emilia-Romagna) becomes Giro del Molise (region: Molise)
2) Tre Valli Varesine (region: Lombardia) becomes Tre Valli Beneventane (region: Campania)
3) Milano-Torino (region: from Lombardia to Piemonte) becomes Napoli-Potenza (region: Campania to Basilicata)
4) Gran Piemonte (region: Piemonte) becomes Gran Basilicata (region: Basilicata)
5) Il Lombardia (region: Lombardia) becomes Il Campania (region: Campania)

Giro del Molise: from Campobasso to Castelmauro - Santuario della Madonna della Salute

Inspired by the Giro dell'Emilia, the final loop should allow a strong rider to win. As the real version, this loop will be done 5 times with the Castelmauro climb at each and its steep gradients. The finish line is not at the top but in front of the Santuario della Madonna della Salute.

Tre Valli Beneventane: from Benevento to Cerreto Sanita

After approx. 40 km, the riders will reach the first loop. Composed of two climbs with the finish line between the two, they will do it 8 times in first instance before go to a second loop harder. In the final they will do once the second, once the first, once the second and start the second until the finish line (exactly as the Tre Valli Varesine)
The climbs are a little harder here.
On the first loop:
  • Zeppa di Ferro (319 m, 2.3 Km at 5.1%)
  • Cerreto Sanita (414 m, 1.4 Km at 7.5%)

On the second loop:
  • San Lorenzo Maggiore (327 m, 2.7 Km at 9.2%)
  • Guardia Sanframonti (377 m, 1.5 Km at 8.0%)

Napoli - Potenza: from Torre del Greco to Vaglio Basilicata

The first part is not flat as in Milano-Torino but nevertheless it's the final climb to Vaglio Basilicata that should decide of the winner. We wouldn't reach the top of the climb the first time, only the second.

Gran Basilicata: from Policoro to Matera

As Gran Piemonte is a race that change a lot over the years, becoming sometimes for sprinters, others for punchers and even for climbers, I decided to create a race that could fit everybody.
There will be climbs but with valley between each and more the race go, less longer the climbs are. The final one to Matera is at 10 km to go but without downhill behind. Punchers will have to anticipate if they want to drop sprinters. And sprinters have to be good enough climbers if they want to arrive for victory.

Il Campania: from Battipaglia to Sorrento

The end of season. Il Campania is not along the lakes but along the sea. The race should settle from the Monte Faito. This climb is not as steep as il Muro di Sormano, but it is longer and it shares with it another particularity: the road is very (very) narrow. Then it will be follow by a technical downhill before the two final climbs, the short but steep one to Arola, and the last (easier but not so after 230 km) of the Colli di San Pietro.

Last edited by Rmax85 on 24/09/2021, 16:22, edited 3 times in total.
davandluz
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by davandluz »

maps/tours/view/19550

Giro dell'Emilia: Taranto > Mottola
Tre Valli Varesine: Pozzuoli > Napoli - Posillipo
Milano-Torino: Pompei > Vaglio Basilicata
Gran Piemonte: Rionero in Vulture > Policoro
Il Lombardia: Avellino > Sapri
Spoiler!
Giro dell'Emilia al Sud

maps/viewtrack/450562

I placed the Giro dell'Emilia in Puglia, a region that borders both with Basilicata (Piemonte) and Campania (Lombardia), as Emilia-Romagna does with Piemonte and Lombardia. The circuit, to be repeated 5 times, sees the peloton climb up to Mottola 5 times. The climb is 3 Km long, but it goes straight to the descent afterwards, unlike the second peak of Monte Albano (1 Km long) in the actual Giro dell'Emilia. Thus, the total climbing per Km and gradients are kept equal. The finish line is placed in front of the Cappella dell'Annunziata, where spectators will be able to enjoy a beautiful view on the Mar Ionio.

[/url]Image

Tre Valli Varesine al Sud

maps/viewtrack/450698

I wanted to give the majestic city of Napoli its own classic, with riders fighting for victory within the Campania capital streets. I placed the circuit in the dreamy scenarios of Posillipo, where both riders and spectators will be able to enjoy the fantastic sea view. The peloton will pass the finish line 8 times, with the decisive climb to Marechiaro to be repeated 9 times. I chose to put only one circuit to limit the parts of the city blocked to traffic, and to concentrate in one area without dispersing. The gradients and the circuit both resemble the original route of the Tre Valli Varesine.

Milano-Torino al Sud

maps/viewtrack/450462

This was the classic I started with, that made me choose Campania for Lombardia and Basilicata for Piemonte. I think that Napoli and Potenza were the only regional capital cities that could be linked to well recreate the Milano-Torino classic, and Vaglio Basilicata offered a fantastic opporunity to replicate the Superga circuit. Being Potenza well above Napoli in terms of altitude, it was inevitable that the road to the final climbs was going to be more rolling than in the original route. In any case, I did not insert any high-gradient parts till the very end, where a very tough climb awaits the riders (4.4 Km, 8.4%, with a 2 Km section in the central part of the climb all in double digits).

Gran Piemonte al Sud

maps/viewtrack/450466

I wanted to offer sprinters a chance in Southern Italy as they have in the North, usually at the Gran Piemonte but last year at the Milano-Torino. Thus, I designed a flat route, completely in Basilicata, with only the first few Km with hilly roads, so that sprinters will be the favourites of the day at the finish line in Policoro, famous for its touristic harbour.

Il Lombardia al Sud

maps/viewtrack/450680

Not sure the Peloton will encounter falling leaves along the route, but one thing is sure: the Lombardia in Campania will offer a fantastic race to cycling fans. A monumental day awaits the rider: after the Santa Tecla and Roccadaspide climbs, which resemble the ones to Colle Gallo and Colle Brianza, the race will explode, with the Villa Littorio and Monte Calvello climbs (the latter with very steep gradients). Then, a rolling descent towards the seaside, where the remaining riders will fight for victory. Two climbs await: first, San Cristoforo, almost 3 Km of climbing with an average gradient of 11.4% (and a maximum gradient above 21%); then, the climb to Le Capannelle (2.3 Km, 8.4%), where the gaps seen on the previous climb can be reduced or incremented, just as in San Fermo della Battaglia. Instead of the Como Lake, the finish line will be in front of the Tirreno Sea, in the touristic town of Sapri.

Will4563
Spettatore

Post by Will4563 »

Why isn't the Coppa Bernocchi a part of this contest? It's also in Lombardia region.
emmea90

Post by emmea90 »

Will4563 wrote: 26/09/2021, 11:56 Why isn't the Coppa Bernocchi a part of this contest? It's also in Lombardia region.
All races here are >= .Pro, Bernocchi is .1
jibvalverde
Tifoso
Tifoso

Post by jibvalverde »

Here is my races for the contest : maps/tours/view/19563
Spoiler!
Giro dell’Lettere

Like the original Giro dell’Emilia, my Giro dell’Lettere will take place around a tough ascent, to climb many times. I choose the climb of Lettere (2,7km à 11%). It’s tougher, yes, but I compensate by an easier race before and one lap less. Like Giro dell’Emilia, the race finish in front of oh a church, the Sanctuario de Santa Anna de Lettere/Piazza.

Bari-Potenza

With my will to make Lombardia in Pouilles, it’s nearly impossible to make a Bari-Potenza in place of Milan-Turin. I hesitate a lot more of an arrival site but I choose the credible one. Instead of the double final climb like in Milan-Turin, I choose to climb two different ascents but very alike. First is 5km at 8,7% whereas the final one is 4km at 8,8%. It’s a little change but we keep the same spirit than the original race.

Tre Valli Fasano

La course entière :

Le circuit :

Tre Valli Varesine is a race in circuit, not really tough by the climbs but by the repetition and the absence of flat part. So I choose a circuit of 11,9km in Fasano, with three little climbs : Zoo Safari (700m at 8%), Fasanolandia (600m at 8,5%) and Canale di Pirro (1,3km at 5,8%). Last 2km of the circuit are globally flat. There will be 13 laps after a first section in line of 40km. Only one of the 13 laps will be different of the others one since the 5th lap will climb only Selva (2,5km at 9,2%), for a lap of 15km.

Tour du Policoro

The Tour du Piémont is sometimes a race for sprinters, sometimes for climbers, sometimes for puncheurs. So I choose to make a race which each type of riders could win. After a start of Matera, the race will be globally flat for nearly 130km, until the toughest climb of the day, on the top of Colobraro (7,7km at 7%), with multiples passage at more than 10%. At the top, there will be 68km left and three shorts climbs: Molino di Giuro (2,7km at 5,1%), Fursi (1km at 13,8%) and Anglona (2,2km at 5%), which is the only climb of the 40 last kilometres. What scenario will we have?

Giro Il Puglia

After the start in Foggia, riders will face 139 fisrt kilometres not to tough but already difficult with the long ascent of Monte Celano (13,4km at 3,5%) and the Valle Della Monaca Gargano (6,5km at 4,3%) before to pass a second time in Manfredonia, which will give the start of the real difficulties. After 17km on seaside, riders will abord le Monte Scaro, a 12,8km climb at 5,3% much tougher than the percent will let you think, with a first part of 5km at 10%. A big moment to split the peloton and make a first selection. After a quick descent and a little climb (2km at 5,7%), there will be the other ascent for climbers, with the Valico del Lupo (6,7km at 7,9%°. A the top, there will be 69km left (48km for Sormano in 2020). After a long descent and two climbs (2,9km at 4,7% and 1,4km at 4%), riders will face the final of the Giro Il Puglia, with the tough Vico del Gargano (3,6km at 10,1%), at 23km of the arrival, and the climb of Rodi Garganico (1,8km at 7,3%), at 8km.

Last edited by jibvalverde on 30/09/2021, 17:20, edited 2 times in total.
jajoejoe
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by jajoejoe »

Here is my submission for this contest:
maps/tours/view/19570
1. Giro dell'Emilia = Giro di Basilicata
2. Tre Valli Varesine = Tre Valli Avellinese
3. Milano-Torino = Napoli-Campobasso
4. Gran Piemonte = Gran Molise
5. Il Lombardia = Il Campania
Spoiler!
1. Giro di Basilicata
Characteristics Giro dell' Emilia:
Introductory part consists of a big, not so steep climb and a bunch of smaller climbs alongside it.
Finale consists of 5 times the same climb on a approximatly 10km long circuit.
The climb is a bit longer than short and fairly steep, finish is at a church or any other religious building.

All of these characteristics are used in my Basilicata iteration of this famous Italian classic. The finish is on the steep slopes leading up to the Santuario Santa Maria di Picciano, just outside of Matera.

Tre Valli Avellinese
Characteristics Tre Valli Varesine:
Short and flat start.
Main circuit consists of a moderatly steep climb with a flat part in the middle.
On the second to last and last lap there is a different circuit that consists of a steeper climb.
Finish is uphill on a nice wide road.

So I tried to almost make this a copy and it kinda looks alike the Varesine variant. Only the uphill finish doesn't really look a like as it isn't as hard as the Varesine finish, but still hard enough to make the legs hurt more than on a flat finish. This race is also contested in "Tre Valli" as it is contested in the valleys of the Fenestrelle, Sabato and Vergine rivers.

Napoli-Campobasso
Characteristics Milano-Torino:
Long mostly flat untill finale.
Finale consists of 2 times the same climb which is about 4-5km at relativly steep and consistent gradient.

This race starts in Napoli, capital of Campania and finishes just west of Campobasso in the town of Oratino after 2 times a fairly hard climb.

Gran Molise
Characteristics 2021 Gran Piemonte:
Not very long and flat apart from a non impactful climb or 2.

So for this one I decided to emulate this year's Gran Piemonte as it is 2021 and I already have 4 hilly/mountainous races, the sprinters deserve a chance too. Thi road mostly goes slightly downhill, making for a fast race. The finish in Termoli is slightly uphill, but nothing that shoudl worry sprinters.

Il Campania
Characteristics Il Lombardia, Como variant:
Long introduction part untill finale with some climbs, of which one is challenging.
Finale consists of 4 climbs in the following order:
1. Fairly long, but not super hard percentages, but makes sure the riders start getting tired.
2. Immediatly follows up the first climb after a descent, is the hardest climb of the day, poses the first attacking possibilities for the main guys.
3. Medium long climb with steep gradients after a flat part.
4. Short climb, immediatly follows up the 3rd climb, short distance afterwards to the finish.

I think all these characteristics are worked in well in this Il Lombardia in the south variant. The last 2 climbs are a little bit steeper than the Il Lombardia climbs but they are shorter, so compensating.
Belgian4444
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by Belgian4444 »

Link: maps/tours/view/19574

1) Giro dell'Emilia -> Giro delle Puglia
2) Tre Valli Varesine -> Tre Valli Molisse
3) Milano-Torino -> Campobasso-Napoli
4) Gran Piemonte -> Giro del Campania (based on Gran Piemonte 2020)
5) Il Lombardia -> Giro di Molisse

Presentation in spoiler.
Spoiler!

Giro delle Puglia

Five laps in the outskirts of Fasano to conclude a trip through Puglia. The Selva di Fasano is pretty similar to the original climb and has a small church on top. I tried to keep the plateau after the climb, with a small bump before the downhill.

Tre Valli Molisse

The longer Colle di Lauro replaces the bump in the original circuit to come to a similar climb overall. The end is a little tougher than the original route, but the profile stays relatively the same. Didn't include the percentages on the profile, since the duo climb in the end would make it completely unreadable.

Campobasso - Napoli

I think finishing on the flanks of a volcano increases the appeal already. It's a little easier than the original route, but not by much.

Giro del Campania (based on Gran Piemonte 2020)

There are so many key climbs, so it would be too much to post all of them here. The Montecchia climb is harder, but the profile overall stays the same.

Giro di Molissa

While the Tre Valli stays to the east of the Guardialfiera Lake, this route stays on the west side. The Valico climb is longer, but a bit easier overall than the Madonna, giving a similar difficulty. The Mascara/Andrea combo replaces the Sormano climb: two shorter high percentage climbs that make one longer, similar in difficulty. The final double header is pretty similar, the Monte Mauro is a bit more difficult than the original but similar in length.

BETTO
Spettatore

Post by BETTO »

Here's my routes for the contest.

maps/tours/view/19581

1) Giro dell'Emilia ---> Giro del Molise
2) Tre Valli Varesine ---> La Penisola Sorrentina
3) Milano - Torino ---> Napoli - Potenza
4) Gran Piemonte ---> Gran Basilicata
5) Il Lombardia ---> Il Campania