Facebook login is not available anymore due to Facebook policy. If you need access to your old account send a mail with username and your actual mail.

IMPORTANT: Routing and Elevation API are limited to 7000 calls per day. In case they are expired, they won't work until limit is re-charged. You can try in this case to do a GPX on RideWithGPS site and import it on the editor

Please don't spam us mail and PMs that we won't answer and notice that the official language of forum is English.

Roadbooks: LINK

Comment with us the races in the discussion thread or in the Telegram Chat

2021 Season Contests
Contest #4: Giro d'Italia - VOTING
Contest #5: Battle of the North

Contest #4 - Giro d'Italia 2021 [Cat. 1] - Voting

Compete in the contests and become the best stagemaker!
emmea90
Direttore Sportivo terza divisione

Post by emmea90 »

In this topic you can vote for the Improved spring Classics, according to the following rules.

PLEASE READ ALL THE POST BEFORE VOTING

How to vote

1 - You have to judge the track according to the requirements: contests/contest-giro-italia-2021-t7405.html

2 - You have to write in a post your best FIVE routes, from worse to best, providing a brief motivation for each choice
FIFTH PLACE
(Motivation)

FOURTH PLACE
(Motivation)

THIRD PLACE
(Motivation)

SECOND PLACE
(Motivation)

FIRST PLACE
(Motivation)
How does it work?
- First choice got 6 points, second 4, third 3, fourth 2 and fifth 1 point.
- Presentation bonus grant you 3 points (we will add later with penalties who took the bonus)
- Ranking will be made according to points obtained
- In case of equality I will decide the winner
- YOU CAN'T VOTE FOR YOURSELF
- You can also comment other people's reviews regarding your or other one's routes
- YOU CAN'T CHANGE YOUR VOTE ONCE SUBMITTED

Who can vote?
- Every user that submitted a contest (full points vote)
- Every user in the La Flamme Rouge Staff (Emmea90, Pigna, Sagan99, Matthorse, Nasdon33, Linkinito, Bose12)
- Every user that has registered BEFORE today and has at least 10 tracks in the editor. In this case, his votes counts half of the points scale

Penalties
- Every user that submitted a contest and doesn't submit a valid vote (with 5 choices and motivations) will get a 10 points penalty for all his routes.
- It's FORBBIDDEN to ask for votes. Who will be caught public or privately asking for a vote to some users will get a 50 points penalty in first instance, then the exclusion from all the contests of the year
- Vote penalties for unpracticable routes will be assigned by staff during this phase

Requisites for the +3 bonus
- Providing link of the tour in the post
- Providing viewable image of each stage with a description in the post

Deadline for vote phase is july 3, h 23.59

Routes:
Mauro: maps/tours/view/18650 +4 bonus
Lukkier: maps/tours/view/18675 +4 bonus
Jekp: maps/tours/view/18645 +4 bonus
Benoit.guillot: maps/tours/view/18668 +4 bonus
Werfer: contests/maps/tours/view/18671 +4 bonus
AjachiChakrabarti: maps/tours/view/18654 +4 bonus
Micek_52: maps/tours/view/18758 +4 bonus
jajoejoe: maps/tours/view/18651 +4 bonus
Micchan: maps/tours/view/18686 +4 bonus
Fyr3: maps/tours/view/18732 +4 bonus
DavAndLuz: maps/tours/view/18786 +4 bonus
Giorgio.ponticelli: maps/tours/view/18743 +4 bonus
Ellvey: maps/tours/view/18785
Kanon16: maps/tours/view/18725 +4 bonus
Nebe: maps/tours/view/18757 +4 bonus
JibValverde: maps/tours/view/18810 +4 bonus
Betto: maps/tours/view/18648 +1 bonus
JoostvandeBeek: maps/tours/view/18812
Alegard: maps/tours/view/18714 +4 bonus
Diego12Alpe: maps/tours/view/18720 +4 bonus
Belgian4444: maps/tours/view/18647 +4 bonus
Jadmeal: maps/tours/view/18749
Improb: maps/tours/view/18744 +4 bonus
Software Engineer, Cycling Fanatic
benoît.guillot
Appassionato
Appassionato

Re: Contest #4 - Giro d'Italia 2021 [Cat. 1] - Voting

Post by benoît.guillot »

benoît.guillot. In my opinion, it's a bit of a stretch to say that Monte Bove (the only climb of the day) can quite surely eliminate some (if any) sprinters in that point of the race. Also, Valle Spluga - Alpe Motta MTF is not an amelioration of the original stage - I think it was the best designed high mountain stage of the Giro, in fact.
Monte Bove ? Are you sure you're talking about a stage of my Tour ? 😅

In my opinion, the amélioration of Alpe Motta Stage is real but I hear what could be your concerns about it
davandluz
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by davandluz »

benoît.guillot wrote: 10/06/2021, 19:18
benoît.guillot. In my opinion, it's a bit of a stretch to say that Monte Bove (the only climb of the day) can quite surely eliminate some (if any) sprinters in that point of the race. Also, Valle Spluga - Alpe Motta MTF is not an amelioration of the original stage - I think it was the best designed high mountain stage of the Giro, in fact.

In my opinion, the amélioration of Alpe Motta Stage is real but I hear what could be your concerns about it
pretty sure I am, yes ahah maps/viewtrack/430183 (the next stage is even flatter, if I recall correctly)

About the Alpe Motta stage, I don't think you designed a bad stage, on the contrary (I myself was thinking about doing the Forcola di Livigno from Tirano in my stage 19, and I am not sure I made the right call not tracking it in the end...), but the original stage was really top notch in my opinion
nebe
Spettatore

Post by nebe »

davandluz wrote: 10/06/2021, 16:39
nebe wrote: 10/06/2021, 15:56
davandluz wrote: 09/06/2021, 18:08
nebe. Where is the Strade Bianche inspired stage?
[
Non mi pare che le regole richiedessero una tappa di strade bianche ispirata a quella del giro vero, bensì di inserire almeno una tappa in cui si debbono percorrere strade bianche.
La tappa Canazei-Malaga San Giorgio del mio giro contiene un tratto di strada bianca di 15 Km potenzialmente decisivo perché piazzato nel finale di tappa e subito dopo una salita che potrebbe già aver fatto selezione, inoltre nella tappa con arrivo a Pintura ce ne è pure un altro di 5 km quindi direi che ho rispettato la regola.

Le strade bianche non si trovano solo sulle colline Toscane

English
It does not seem to me that the rules required a stage of dirt roads inspired by that of the real tour, but to insert at least one stage in which you have to travel along dirt roads.
The Canazei-Malaga San Giorgio stage of my tour contains a stretch of dirt road of 15 km potentially decisive because it is placed in the final stage and immediately after a climb that may have already made a selection, also in the stage with arrival in Pintura there is also one. another of 5 km so I would say that I respected the rule.

The dirt roads are not found only on the Tuscan hills
I don't quite agree with what you are saying. In Italian, the word "sterrato" is used to call gravel roads. "Strade bianche", on the other hand, are internationally and nationally associated with the Tuscanian white roads. If the requirement asked for a "sterrato" stage, I would 100% agree with you, but it asked specifically for "strade bianche", not "sterrato", nor "gravel/unpaved" in general. Thus, I do not believe you have respected the requirement, and for me your entry is not admissible.
Nella lingua italiana strada bianca e strada sterrata sono sinonimi. La corsa che si disputa in toscana si chiama strade bianche proprio perché si fanno strade sterrate, quindi il mio percorso è ammissibile visto che la regola non chiedeva una tappa ispirata alla corsa "Strade bianche" ma una tappa con strade bianche e io ne ho messe due

In the Italian language white road and dirt road are synonymous. The race that takes place in Tuscany is called white roads precisely because they are dirt roads, so my route is admissible since the rule did not ask for a stage inspired by the "White roads" race but a stage with white roads and I have two
davandluz
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by davandluz »

nebe wrote: 10/06/2021, 20:36
nebe wrote: 10/06/2021, 15:56

Non mi pare che le regole richiedessero una tappa di strade bianche ispirata a quella del giro vero, bensì di inserire almeno una tappa in cui si debbono percorrere strade bianche.
La tappa Canazei-Malaga San Giorgio del mio giro contiene un tratto di strada bianca di 15 Km potenzialmente decisivo perché piazzato nel finale di tappa e subito dopo una salita che potrebbe già aver fatto selezione, inoltre nella tappa con arrivo a Pintura ce ne è pure un altro di 5 km quindi direi che ho rispettato la regola.

Le strade bianche non si trovano solo sulle colline Toscane

English
It does not seem to me that the rules required a stage of dirt roads inspired by that of the real tour, but to insert at least one stage in which you have to travel along dirt roads.
The Canazei-Malaga San Giorgio stage of my tour contains a stretch of dirt road of 15 km potentially decisive because it is placed in the final stage and immediately after a climb that may have already made a selection, also in the stage with arrival in Pintura there is also one. another of 5 km so I would say that I respected the rule.

The dirt roads are not found only on the Tuscan hills
I don't quite agree with what you are saying. In Italian, the word "sterrato" is used to call gravel roads. "Strade bianche", on the other hand, are internationally and nationally associated with the Tuscanian white roads. If the requirement asked for a "sterrato" stage, I would 100% agree with you, but it asked specifically for "strade bianche", not "sterrato", nor "gravel/unpaved" in general. Thus, I do not believe you have respected the requirement, and for me your entry is not admissible.
Nella lingua italiana strada bianca e strada sterrata sono sinonimi. La corsa che si disputa in toscana si chiama strade bianche proprio perché si fanno strade sterrate, quindi il mio percorso è ammissibile visto che la regola non chiedeva una tappa ispirata alla corsa "Strade bianche" ma una tappa con strade bianche e io ne ho messe due

In the Italian language white road and dirt road are synonymous. The race that takes place in Tuscany is called white roads precisely because they are dirt roads, so my route is admissible since the rule did not ask for a stage inspired by the "White roads" race but a stage with white roads and I have two
No, they are not synonymous. I have never heard the word strade bianche if not for the Tuscanian roads, and in fact you cannot even find the term in the Treccani encyclopedia, nor vocabulary, nor synonymous. And in any case, the requirement did not state a stage with strade bianche, but merely a strade bianche stage. For me, your route is not admissible. I understand that you don't think the same, and I think that's fine, otherwise what's the point of voting
benoît.guillot
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by benoît.guillot »

davandluz wrote: 10/06/2021, 19:30

pretty sure I am, yes ahah maps/viewtrack/430183 (the next stage is even flatter, if I recall correctly)

About the Alpe Motta stage, I don't think you designed a bad stage, on the contrary (I myself was thinking about doing the Forcola di Livigno from Tirano in my stage 19, and I am not sure I made the right call not tracking it in the end...), but the original stage was really top notch in my opinion
I mean, in the Roma stage, the point is not to eliminate any sprinters ! The stage is designed to be one of the few massive sprint. But may be I explained it badly...
Last edited by benoît.guillot on 11/06/2021, 9:50, edited 1 time in total.
davandluz
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by davandluz »

benoît.guillot wrote: 11/06/2021, 6:22

I mean, in the Roma stage, the point is not to eliminate any sprinters ! The stage is designed to be one of the new massive sprint. But may be I explained it badly...
Then you'll agree with me that one of the constraints was not respected ("As 2021 race never have two consecutive mass sprint finish stages, you have to keep this constraint also in your route"), since the Orbetello stage is another mass sprint
benoît.guillot
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by benoît.guillot »

davandluz wrote: 11/06/2021, 9:25
benoît.guillot wrote: 11/06/2021, 6:22

I mean, in the Roma stage, the point is not to eliminate any sprinters ! The stage is designed to be one of the new massive sprint. But may be I explained it badly...
Then you'll agree with me that one of the constraints was not respected ("As 2021 race never have two consecutive mass sprint finish stages, you have to keep this constraint also in your route"), since the Orbetello stage is another mass sprint
Damn, you're right, I misread the rule and read "never have MORE THAN two consecutive mass sprint". Sorry to disturb you on that point...
BETTO
Spettatore

Post by BETTO »

BETTO. Stage 2 and 3 are both for all sprinters.

[/quote]

I don't agree with you; Villar Perosa finish can be a sprint but for sure it's not a massive one.
BETTO
Spettatore

Post by BETTO »

I don't agree with you. Villar Perosa Stage can be a sprint but for sure it's not a massive one.
davandluz
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by davandluz »

BETTO wrote: 11/06/2021, 11:35
I don't agree with you. Villar Perosa Stage can be a sprint but for sure it's not a massive one.
The only difficulty of the day is half a Km with a steep gradient in a city center, more than 10 Km from the finish line. It's not long enough for sprinters to lose terrain, nor to create gaps, and even in the chance that a couple of sprinters lose some positions and end up in the back of the peloton, they have all the time to go back up, considering also that's just the second stage of the Giro (and the first one for sprinters) so everyone is still in good shape and there are no tired legs. I agree that it might be a terrain more suitable for finisseurs than other flat stages, but I see a bunch sprint as the most likely outcome
emmea90

Post by emmea90 »

To clarify the question, even if they are on the same map on our site, a "sterrato" and a "strada bianca" are two different things for their surface (strade bianche are more cured, sterrato is more rough) and the Strade Bianche stage was clearly intended to be done in Tuscany.
Software Engineer, Cycling Fanatic
nebe
Spettatore

Post by nebe »

davandluz wrote: 10/06/2021, 23:27

No, they are not synonymous. I have never heard the word strade bianche if not for the Tuscanian roads, and in fact you cannot even find the term in the Treccani encyclopedia, nor vocabulary, nor synonymous. And in any case, the requirement did not state a stage with strade bianche, but merely a strade bianche stage. For me, your route is not admissible. I understand that you don't think the same, and I think that's fine, otherwise what's the point of voting
invece sono sinonimi tutti i ciclisti usavano il termine strade bianche ben prima che nascesse quella corsa e per indicare strade sterrate ovunque allocate come puoi vedere dal dizionario

instead they are synonyms all cyclists used the term dirt roads well before that race was born and to indicate dirt roads everywhere allocated as you can see from the dictionary

Micek_52
Spettatore

Post by Micek_52 »

nebe wrote: 12/06/2021, 0:27
davandluz wrote: 10/06/2021, 23:27

invece sono sinonimi tutti i ciclisti usavano il termine strade bianche ben prima che nascesse quella corsa e per indicare strade sterrate ovunque allocate come puoi vedere dal dizionario

instead they are synonyms all cyclists used the term dirt roads well before that race was born and to indicate dirt roads everywhere allocated as you can see from the dictionary

Ok, can we just stop arguing over what Strade Bianche are. Emmea90 wrote a his definition, so that should be respected. I guess that if a Tour contest required you to keep a cobblestone stage, you wouldn't just spam the map with city cobblestone roads right.
nebe
Spettatore

Post by nebe »

emmea90 wrote: 11/06/2021, 21:55 To clarify the question, even if they are on the same map on our site, a "sterrato" and a "strada bianca" are two different things for their surface (strade bianche are more cured, sterrato is more rough) and the Strade Bianche stage was clearly intended to be done in Tuscany.
ok però visto che anche i dizionari le parificano, se la regola doveva essere la Toscana secondo me doveva essere chiarito meglio nelle regole perché in italiano strada bianca è sinonimo di sterrata. anche se è una strada più curata non deve essere per forza localizzata in Toscana
Io sono abruzzese e con vari amici ciclisti percorriamo spesso strade sterrate e le abbiamo sempre chiamate strade bianche ben prima che nascesse l'omonima corsa. Non avrei avuto alcuna difficoltà a disegnare una tappa con le strade toscane ma ho voluto fare una cosa più originale proprio perché la regola così come formulata non parlava di Toscana.
Il traduttore di google traduce strada bianca con dirt road a riprova del fatto che sono sinonimi
Se si vuole criticare il fatto che ho messo un solo settore di sterrato, come ha detto Micek_52 accetto la critica e ok, però non mi sembra giusto dire ce non ho rispettato la regola

ok but since even the dictionaries equalize them, if the rule was to be Tuscany in my opinion it should have been better clarified in the rules because in Italian the white road is synonymous with dirt. even if it is a more well-kept road it does not necessarily have to be located in Tuscany
I am from Abruzzo and with various cyclist friends we often travel along dirt roads and we have always called them strade bianche well before the homonymous race was born. I would not have had any difficulty in designing a stage with the Tuscan roads but I wanted to do something more original precisely because the rule as formulated did not speak of Tuscany.
The google translator translates dirt road with dirt road as proof that they are synonyms
If you want to criticize the fact that I only put one sector of dirt road, as Micek_52 said, I accept the criticism and ok, but it does not seem fair to say that I have not respected the rule

davandluz
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by davandluz »

nebe wrote: 12/06/2021, 12:58
emmea90 wrote: 11/06/2021, 21:55 To clarify the question, even if they are on the same map on our site, a "sterrato" and a "strada bianca" are two different things for their surface (strade bianche are more cured, sterrato is more rough) and the Strade Bianche stage was clearly intended to be done in Tuscany.
ok però visto che anche i dizionari le parificano, se la regola doveva essere la Toscana secondo me doveva essere chiarito meglio nelle regole perché in italiano strada bianca è sinonimo di sterrata. anche se è una strada più curata non deve essere per forza localizzata in Toscana
Io sono abruzzese e con vari amici ciclisti percorriamo spesso strade sterrate e le abbiamo sempre chiamate strade bianche ben prima che nascesse l'omonima corsa. Non avrei avuto alcuna difficoltà a disegnare una tappa con le strade toscane ma ho voluto fare una cosa più originale proprio perché la regola così come formulata non parlava di Toscana.
Il traduttore di google traduce strada bianca con dirt road a riprova del fatto che sono sinonimi
Se si vuole criticare il fatto che ho messo un solo settore di sterrato, come ha detto Micek_52 accetto la critica e ok, però non mi sembra giusto dire ce non ho rispettato la regola

ok but since even the dictionaries equalize them, if the rule was to be Tuscany in my opinion it should have been better clarified in the rules because in Italian the white road is synonymous with dirt. even if it is a more well-kept road it does not necessarily have to be located in Tuscany
I am from Abruzzo and with various cyclist friends we often travel along dirt roads and we have always called them strade bianche well before the homonymous race was born. I would not have had any difficulty in designing a stage with the Tuscan roads but I wanted to do something more original precisely because the rule as formulated did not speak of Tuscany.
The google translator translates dirt road with dirt road as proof that they are synonyms
If you want to criticize the fact that I only put one sector of dirt road, as Micek_52 said, I accept the criticism and ok, but it does not seem fair to say that I have not respected the rule

Sterro di montagna =/= strada bianca. Internazionale is a journal, not even a vocabulary or an encyclopedia (and if you look at one, as Treccani, you'll see that you're defending a lost cause). Even the admin told you so. You did not put any strada bianca, you did not track a strade bianche stage as asked, you're route for me is not admissible.

in any case, you're free to think I am talking rubbish. That's the point of a contest like this, isn't it?
nebe
Spettatore

Post by nebe »

davandluz wrote: 12/06/2021, 13:40
nebe wrote: 12/06/2021, 12:58

Sterro di montagna =/= strada bianca. Internazionale is a journal, not even a vocabulary or an encyclopedia (and if you look at one, as Treccani, you'll see that you're defending a lost cause). Even the admin told you so. You did not put any strada bianca, you did not track a strade bianche stage as asked, you're route for me is not admissible.

in any case, you're free to think I am talking rubbish. That's the point of a contest like this, isn't it?
Internazionale è solo il sito che ospita, ma il dizionario è il De Mauro (nell'immagine postata si vede) che è un ottimo dizionario di italiano
Non mi pare che la Treccani riporti l'espressione strade bianche come strade della Toscana.
L'amministratore voleva una tappa di strade toscane è vero perchè lo ha detto ora, ma la formulazione non era chiara dato che ripeto, in lingua italiana la strada bianca è una strada non asfaltata ed è sempre stato così. Si dice spesso "Ai tempi di Coppi e Bartali le strade di montana erano bianche" e simili
Anche Mauro che è italiano e se ne intende di ciclismo l'ha interpretata nello stesso modo.il percorso è ammissibile per come era formulata la regola poi se non lo vuoi votare non farlo, non mi offendo mica.
Su una cosa sono d'accordo lo scopo di questo concorso non è far polemica per cui io la chiuderei qui tanto ognuno resta della sua opinione.

International is only the hosting site, but the dictionary is the De Mauro (in the posted image you can see) which is an excellent dictionary of Italian
It does not seem to me that Treccani carries the expression strade bianche like the roads of Tuscany.
The administrator wanted a stage of Tuscan roads, it is true he said now, but why it was was not clear since the strada bianca is an unpaved road and it has always been like that. It is often said "Ai tempi di Coppi e Bartali le strade di montagna erano biancche" and similar"
Even Mauro who is Italian and knows about cycling has interpreted it in the same way. The route is admissible for the way the rule was formulated, then if you don't want to vote for it, don't do it, I'm not offended.
On one thing I agree the purpose of this competition is not to make controversy so I would close it here so much everyone remains of his opinion.
Fyr3
Spettatore

Post by Fyr3 »

I was going to propose a finish at Lago Dietro la Torre but decided against it because of the controvesy it would cause :D

For reference most of it is paved except for the last 2 or so km, however it is pretty terrible sterrato along with a long unlit tunnel that probably combined wouldn't be a worthy investment for organisers...
"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving." - Albert Einstein
benoît.guillot
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by benoît.guillot »

Hello there ! I really like this contest. Time after time, it's getting harder and harder to have a clear top 5 as everyone drew some real piece of work so I just want so say : Congrats to all !

FIFTH PLACE : AjachiChakrabarti
Monte Mangart and Passo Pordoi are both incredible ! However, your Giro is a bit long for my criteria.

FOURTH PLACE : davandluz
The main reason you are in this ranking is because you're one of the few who choose to put the second ITT in the middle of the race. I like the originality of your stages and the research you seems to have put in the drawning. However, as for AjachiChakrabarti, the overall length is a bit too hard for me.

THIRD PLACE : Belgian4444
There is not much to say about your Giro. Everything is good but not wahoo. However, your Monte Zuccaro stage has not the DNA of the queen stage I wanted to see in this level of the race.

SECOND PLACE : alegard
This is some of the best mountain stage I've seen in this contest. Especially the Sega di Alla stage wich promise fireworks for the overall standing. But dude, the transfert distance :cry2: . You lose on that point.

FIRST PLACE : JoostvandeBeek
I'll begin with a critic : the Alpe Quaggione stage. As for Belgian444, I don't trust this stage to put the giro Upside Down or even have the firework potential. But for the rest. God ! Everything is there ! Reasonnable tranfsert distance, reasonnable stages lenghts, a very hard and explosive last week (Special mention to the arrival in Andalo Valtellino : not the kind I usually like but I trust this one to be one of the most spectacular of your tour !) Congrats !
Belgian4444
Spettatore

Post by Belgian4444 »

FIFTH PLACE: jajoejoe

Final sprint stage is stage 13, which is a bit too soon. I don't see a lot of sprinters wanting to hang on going into week 3. Lots of hill/mountain top finishes, maybe a bit too many.

FOURTH PLACE: Jekp

Maybe could have used an extra MTF. Well done picking Sienna as a finish and not using the Piazza finish like the Strade. Lots of people did that and I don't like copying the Strade in the Giro.

THIRD PLACE: Diego12Alpe

Good route, final km's of the Strade stage are a bit underwhelming. The hilly stages all look a bit similar.

SECOND PLACE: Kanon16

Good route, maybe one sprint too many.

FIRST PLACE: Improb

Good mixed route, well done!