Contests are back: Link

Editor has still troubles with free API, if you don't want to use OSM Elevation API you can try to do a GPX on RideWithGPS site and import it on the editor

Please don't spam us mail and PMs that we won't answer and notice that the official language of forum is English.

Roadbooks: LINK

Comment with us the races in the discussion thread or in the Telegram Chat

2020 Season Contests
Contest #2 - VOTING: Link
Contest #3: Link

Contest #3 - Grand Tour of the Grand Tours

Compete in the contests and become the best stagemaker!
emmea90
Autista dell'ammiraglia
Autista dell'ammiraglia

Post by emmea90 »

Due to Covid-19 pandemic spreading in 2020 both Giro d'Italia and Tour de France were cancelled. Vuelta also had to be postponed by 20 days.

ASO, RCS and Unipublic gets to an agreement to organize one single Grand Tour in september with parts of all the three tours.

ASO also gets to end the Grand Tour in Paris, with the classic Champs-Elysees stage. Due to this, you have to end stage 20 in a way to arrange a realistic transfer to Paris in the evening/morning after the stage (ending near an airport, an high velocity train station if in France, etc).

You have to spilt the stages during the 21 days in an equal stages, possibly avoiding big plane transfers (except for the Paris stage)

Route should be designed in respect of the UCI limit of 3500 Km for a Grand Tour.

You have also to take into account that the Grand Tour will be held in september, so you have to avoid climbs over 2500m and you have to limit climbs over 2000m at 3 maximum.

It shall be clear who organize what stage between RCS, ASO and Unipublic organizes what stage and the total shall be 7 for each organizer. It's not forbidden to go in other countries but it shall be clear who is the organizer - for example, a stage that goes into Andorra, can be organized by both ASO and Unipublic but a stage with the majority of that in Italy shall be organized only by RCS.

Please write in stage the description which is the organizer of each stage.

Please use for the Grand Tour the Tour de France 2019 profile.

Evaluation shall take into account
- Grand Tour balancing
- Realism of the transfers and the stage
- Satisfaction of the organizers
- Key stages in the weekend and not having too many "flat/sprint" stages in a row

Deadline will be on april 25, h 23.59
Software Engineer, Cycling Fanatic

SmokingPuppy841
Spettatore

Re: Contest #3 - Grand Tour of the Grand Tours

Post by SmokingPuppy841 »

This seems more like my thing!

A quick question:
Does Stage 21 count as an ASO stage?
Do we have to include it in the Tour, if it's a given it'll be included?

emmea90
Autista dell'ammiraglia
Autista dell'ammiraglia

Post by emmea90 »

SmokingPuppy841 wrote:
23/03/2020, 9:53
This seems more like my thing!

A quick question:
Does Stage 21 count as an ASO stage?
Do we have to include it in the Tour, if it's a given it'll be included?
1. Yes, it's an ASO stage
2. Yes, you have to include it in the tour as you have to design it, there is not a "standard" stage about that in length.

jajoejoe
Spettatore

Post by jajoejoe »

A stage has to have a respectable transfer length to Paris so stage 20 has to finish next to an airport or other mode of transport. Is northern Spain in the Oviedo region acceptable? it has an airport

emmea90
Autista dell'ammiraglia
Autista dell'ammiraglia

Post by emmea90 »

jajoejoe wrote:
23/03/2020, 10:20
A stage has to have a respectable transfer length to Paris so stage 20 has to finish next to an airport or other mode of transport. Is northern Spain in the Oviedo region acceptable? it has an airport
If it's an international airport, yes.

Sagan99
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by Sagan99 »

The Paris final stage counts like 6 stage + Paris Stage or 7 stage + Paris stage for the ASO organization?
"A volte dorme di più lo sveglio che il dormiente"

Cataldo Baglio

Alfa
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by Alfa »

That's a super cool contest!! I'm very hyped

Micek_52
Spettatore

Post by Micek_52 »

1. Is it allowed to have two full stages outside of Italy, France or Spain?
2. Am I allowed to have an extra rest day (for transfer) after three stages? (similarly to 2018 Giro which started in Israel and than had a rest day for transfer to Italy between stages 3 and 4)?

grimsel99
Spettatore

Post by grimsel99 »

Is Sierra Nevada (2504m) finish allowed, as it is in southern Spain and therefore no problem in September?

emmea90
Autista dell'ammiraglia
Autista dell'ammiraglia

Post by emmea90 »

Micek_52 wrote:
24/03/2020, 10:32
1. Is it allowed to have two full stages outside of Italy, France or Spain?
2. Am I allowed to have an extra rest day (for transfer) after three stages? (similarly to 2018 Giro which started in Israel and than had a rest day for transfer to Italy between stages 3 and 4)?
1. Yes, should be clear who is the organizer and should be realistic
2. No, extra rest days are forbidden.

emmea90
Autista dell'ammiraglia
Autista dell'ammiraglia

Post by emmea90 »

grimsel99 wrote:
24/03/2020, 15:58
Is Sierra Nevada (2504m) finish allowed, as it is in southern Spain and therefore no problem in September?
No.

benoît.guillot
Spettatore

Post by benoît.guillot »

emmea90 wrote:
23/03/2020, 9:40
You have to spilt the stages during the 21 days in an equal stages, possibly avoiding big plane transfers (except for the Paris stage)
I'm not sure that I understand this sentence correctly... Does it means that we have to do 21 stages, 7 for Giro, 7 for Vuelta and 7 for TDF or does it have another rules hidden in there that I don't get , :lol:

emmea90
Autista dell'ammiraglia
Autista dell'ammiraglia

Post by emmea90 »

benoît.guillot wrote:
25/03/2020, 14:55
emmea90 wrote:
23/03/2020, 9:40
I'm not sure that I understand this sentence correctly... Does it means that we have to do 21 stages, 7 for Giro, 7 for Vuelta and 7 for TDF or does it have another rules hidden in there that I don't get , :lol:
7-7-7, avoiding long transfers. It means that, the last stage between Spain-France should be near the border, for example.

You can't do for example 7 days in south italy and then move to spain or france because it's too far. Basically the transition stages between races should be near country borders. But you are not required to do 7 stages in a row of the same "organizer".

jajoejoe
Spettatore

Post by jajoejoe »

Let's get it out of the way as first.
When I saw the subject of this contest I thought I could hand in this tour I made some time ago: maps/tours/view/14063 (This is not my submission for the contest) but it isn't allowed due to the altitude of all the cols.
For this contest I also wanted to fit some characteristics of stage that should've been contested this year.
Here is my finished tour, Starting in Cesena and finishing in Paris on the well known Champs-Élysées: maps/tours/view/14185 <- This is my submission for the contest if it wasn't clear
Also thanks for the new tool that makes you see the profiles of the climb on your route, although the categorisation is a little off.

~~~~~~Stage 1 by RCS~~~~~~
The first stage is a TTT to the birthplace of Marco Pantani and the location where one of the Giro stages should've started and ended.

~~~~~~Stage 2 by RCS~~~~~~
The start and finish town are the same as irl but the stage is different, whereas the real stage is hilly this is completely flat and a first chance for the sprinters.

~~~~~~Stage 3 by RCS~~~~~~
A hilly stage on the route where normally an ITT would take place, I changed it a bit but the Muro is still there and it also finishes in Conegliano.

~~~~~~Stage 4 by RCS~~~~~~
A long and flat stage to cross the country, the finish is in what should've been the start of the last ITT.

~~~~~~Stage 5 by RCS~~~~~~
This race also is a bit of a celebration that we have made it through this crisis so I gifted the start to one of the centers of the pandemic, Codogno. A first real challenge for the GC riders as they tackle the climb to Forte Begato above Genova. It isn't hard in the beginning but as you can see it has a steep finish.

~~~~~~Stage 6 by RCS~~~~~~
This stage has a bit of the cancelled Milano-San Remo in it but it finishes à la the Trofeo Laigueglia. A puncher will win but the GC guys need to watch out.

~~~~~~Stage 7 by RCS~~~~~~
A stage I designed for a breakaway to make it and a warmup for the GC riders as we approach the first deciding stages. It's a bit like the stage to Pinerolo in last year's Giro but harder.

~~~~~~Stage 8 by ASO~~~~~~
We go through the tunnel under the alps to the other side of the border and we have landed in the area around Nice which should've hosted the Grand Depart this year. A stage that has the potential to be frantic.

~~~~~~Stage 9 by ASO~~~~~~
First real mountain top finish for the riders. The Mont Colombis is a monsterous climb but never visited by the Tour or any other race.

~~~~~~Rest day in Gap~~~~~~

~~~~~~Stage 10 by ASO~~~~~
A hilly stage that could create some gaps inbetween the main contenders. It features short and steep climbs north of the Mont Ventoux. The last 3 climbs can be viewed above.

~~~~~~Stage 11 by ASO~~~~~~
The only ITT this tour, surprisingly organised by the ASO. It is contested west of the Ventoux, the riders first ride uphill on the same road that leads to the top of the "Bald Mountain" but turn right just before Saint-Estève, A climb in the middle and a short climb to the beautiful town of Venasque

~~~~~~Stage 12 by ASO~~~~~~
A seemingly easy stage but the September winds and gruesome Mont Saint-Clair can throw a spanner in the works, this will be either a boring flat stage or an echelon festival.

~~~~~~Stage 13 by ASO~~~~~~
The last stage in France before we finish in Paris and another flat stage.

~~~~~~Stage 14 by Unipublic~~~~~~
The Coll de Jou awaits the riders today, on first glance an averagely decent climb but it's much harder than it looks. To add to this, the road close to the top is narrow.

~~~~~~Stage 15 by Unipublic~~~~~~
The Bonaigua-Pla de Beret combo is what the riders have to tackle, it's the only time the riders go above 2000m this tour. The Bonaigua can stimulate long range attacks before dealing the last punch to the top of the Pla de Beret. There is a piece of just over 1km of flat on the Pla de Beret.

~~~~~~Rest day in Vielha~~~~~~

~~~~~~Stage 16 by Unipublic~~~~~~
Some riders may fear this stage as it's contested on the same roads which saw half the peloton finish outside of the time limit, they were lucky as the organizers let them race on. It features false flats that can crack weaker riders and steep hills that will be tackled by the world's best.

~~~~~~Stage 17 by Unipublic~~~~~~
This is a stage for the strong sprinters or the breakaway. The last kilometers go uphill but ever so slightly.

~~~~~~Stage 18 by Unipublic~~~~~~
The first Mountain stage of a northern Spain tryptique. Finish is on a fairly steep climb

~~~~~~Stage 19 by Unipublic~~~~~~
Many climbs and a fairly flat finish. You may ask whya I didn't do it in revers order with the Lunada last as it is the hardest climb then. I didn't do it because this way there is 1 more climb and the race isn't only focussed on the last climb.

~~~~~~Stage 20 by Unipublic~~~~~~
The last mountain stage is on the Angliru which needs no introduction, just like the irl Vuelta plans to do. The approach to the climb is a little different with the steep Coll d'Espines.

~~~~~~Plain flight from Aeropuerto de Asturias to Paris (No rest day)~~~~~~

~~~~~~Stage 21 by ASO~~~~~~
After a plain trip from Spain it's time for the last stage, the well known parade in Paris.

I'm sorry if this is really long, but quarantine gave me a lot of time