IMPORTANT: due to people using bots to scrape the website data, we have to restrict the access to the races only to people with an account. We hope that for now this will be temporay.

IMPORTANT: Routing and Elevation API are limited to 7000 calls per day. In case they are expired, they won't work until limit is re-charged. You can try in this case to do a GPX on RideWithGPS site and import it on the editor

Please don't spam us mail and PMs that we won't answer and notice that the official language of forum is English.

Comment with us the races in the Telegram Chat

New Contest Season is on: Contest 3

Follow us on Twitter: @laflammerouge16

Contest #3 - Grand Tour of the Grand Tours [Cat. 1]

Moderator: Tracking Contests

emmea90
Direttore Sportivo terza divisione

Contest #3 - Grand Tour of the Grand Tours [Cat. 1]

Post by emmea90 »

Contest #3 - Grand Tour of the Grand Tours

Due to Covid-19 pandemic spreading in 2020 both Giro d'Italia and Tour de France were cancelled. Vuelta also had to be postponed by 20 days.

ASO, RCS and Unipublic gets to an agreement to organize one single Grand Tour in september with parts of all the three tours.

ASO also gets to end the Grand Tour in Paris, with the classic Champs-Elysees stage. Due to this, you have to end stage 20 in a way to arrange a realistic transfer to Paris in the evening/morning after the stage (ending near an airport, an high velocity train station if in France, etc).

You have to spilt the stages during the 21 days in an equal stages, possibly avoiding big plane transfers (except for the Paris stage)

Route should be designed in respect of the UCI limit of 3500 Km for a Grand Tour.

You have also to take into account that the Grand Tour will be held in september, so you have to avoid climbs over 2500m and you have to limit climbs over 2000m at 3 maximum.

It shall be clear who organize what stage between RCS, ASO and Unipublic organizes what stage and the total shall be 7 for each organizer. It's not forbidden to go in other countries but it shall be clear who is the organizer - for example, a stage that goes into Andorra, can be organized by both ASO and Unipublic but a stage with the majority of that in Italy shall be organized only by RCS.

Please write in stage the description which is the organizer of each stage.

Please use for the Grand Tour the Tour de France 2019 profile.

Evaluation shall take into account
- Grand Tour balancing
- Realism of the transfers and the stage
- Satisfaction of the organizers
- Key stages in the weekend and not having too many "flat/sprint" stages in a row

Deadline will be on april 25, h 23.59
Software Engineer, Cycling Fanatic
SmokingPuppy841
Spettatore

Re: Contest #3 - Grand Tour of the Grand Tours

Post by SmokingPuppy841 »

This seems more like my thing!

A quick question:
Does Stage 21 count as an ASO stage?
Do we have to include it in the Tour, if it's a given it'll be included?
emmea90

Post by emmea90 »

SmokingPuppy841 wrote: 23/03/2020, 9:53 This seems more like my thing!

A quick question:
Does Stage 21 count as an ASO stage?
Do we have to include it in the Tour, if it's a given it'll be included?
1. Yes, it's an ASO stage
2. Yes, you have to include it in the tour as you have to design it, there is not a "standard" stage about that in length.
jajoejoe
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by jajoejoe »

A stage has to have a respectable transfer length to Paris so stage 20 has to finish next to an airport or other mode of transport. Is northern Spain in the Oviedo region acceptable? it has an airport
emmea90

Post by emmea90 »

jajoejoe wrote: 23/03/2020, 10:20 A stage has to have a respectable transfer length to Paris so stage 20 has to finish next to an airport or other mode of transport. Is northern Spain in the Oviedo region acceptable? it has an airport
If it's an international airport, yes.
Sagan99
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by Sagan99 »

The Paris final stage counts like 6 stage + Paris Stage or 7 stage + Paris stage for the ASO organization?
Ilnur Zakarin Greatest Fan
Alfa
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by Alfa »

That's a super cool contest!! I'm very hyped
Micek_52
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by Micek_52 »

1. Is it allowed to have two full stages outside of Italy, France or Spain?
2. Am I allowed to have an extra rest day (for transfer) after three stages? (similarly to 2018 Giro which started in Israel and than had a rest day for transfer to Italy between stages 3 and 4)?
grimsel99
Spettatore

Post by grimsel99 »

Is Sierra Nevada (2504m) finish allowed, as it is in southern Spain and therefore no problem in September?
emmea90

Post by emmea90 »

Micek_52 wrote: 24/03/2020, 10:32 1. Is it allowed to have two full stages outside of Italy, France or Spain?
2. Am I allowed to have an extra rest day (for transfer) after three stages? (similarly to 2018 Giro which started in Israel and than had a rest day for transfer to Italy between stages 3 and 4)?
1. Yes, should be clear who is the organizer and should be realistic
2. No, extra rest days are forbidden.
emmea90

Post by emmea90 »

grimsel99 wrote: 24/03/2020, 15:58 Is Sierra Nevada (2504m) finish allowed, as it is in southern Spain and therefore no problem in September?
No.
benoît.guillot
Juniores
Juniores

Post by benoît.guillot »

emmea90 wrote: 23/03/2020, 9:40You have to spilt the stages during the 21 days in an equal stages, possibly avoiding big plane transfers (except for the Paris stage)
I'm not sure that I understand this sentence correctly... Does it means that we have to do 21 stages, 7 for Giro, 7 for Vuelta and 7 for TDF or does it have another rules hidden in there that I don't get , :lol:
emmea90

Post by emmea90 »

benoît.guillot wrote: 25/03/2020, 14:55
emmea90 wrote: 23/03/2020, 9:40You have to spilt the stages during the 21 days in an equal stages, possibly avoiding big plane transfers (except for the Paris stage)
I'm not sure that I understand this sentence correctly... Does it means that we have to do 21 stages, 7 for Giro, 7 for Vuelta and 7 for TDF or does it have another rules hidden in there that I don't get , :lol:
7-7-7, avoiding long transfers. It means that, the last stage between Spain-France should be near the border, for example.

You can't do for example 7 days in south italy and then move to spain or france because it's too far. Basically the transition stages between races should be near country borders. But you are not required to do 7 stages in a row of the same "organizer".
jajoejoe
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by jajoejoe »

Let's get it out of the way as first.
When I saw the subject of this contest I thought I could hand in this tour I made some time ago: maps/tours/view/14063 (This is not my submission for the contest) but it isn't allowed due to the altitude of all the cols.
For this contest I also wanted to fit some characteristics of stage that should've been contested this year.
Here is my finished tour, Starting in Cesena and finishing in Paris on the well known Champs-Élysées: maps/tours/view/14185 <- This is my submission for the contest if it wasn't clear
Also thanks for the new tool that makes you see the profiles of the climb on your route, although the categorisation is a little off.

~~~~~~Stage 1 by RCS~~~~~~
The first stage is a TTT to the birthplace of Marco Pantani and the location where one of the Giro stages should've started and ended.

~~~~~~Stage 2 by RCS~~~~~~
The start and finish town are the same as irl but the stage is different, whereas the real stage is hilly this is completely flat and a first chance for the sprinters.

~~~~~~Stage 3 by RCS~~~~~~
A hilly stage on the route where normally an ITT would take place, I changed it a bit but the Muro is still there and it also finishes in Conegliano.

~~~~~~Stage 4 by RCS~~~~~~
A long and flat stage to cross the country, the finish is in what should've been the start of the last ITT.

~~~~~~Stage 5 by RCS~~~~~~
This race also is a bit of a celebration that we have made it through this crisis so I gifted the start to one of the centers of the pandemic, Codogno. A first real challenge for the GC riders as they tackle the climb to Forte Begato above Genova. It isn't hard in the beginning but as you can see it has a steep finish.

~~~~~~Stage 6 by RCS~~~~~~
This stage has a bit of the cancelled Milano-San Remo in it but it finishes à la the Trofeo Laigueglia. A puncher will win but the GC guys need to watch out.

~~~~~~Stage 7 by RCS~~~~~~
A stage I designed for a breakaway to make it and a warmup for the GC riders as we approach the first deciding stages. It's a bit like the stage to Pinerolo in last year's Giro but harder.

~~~~~~Stage 8 by ASO~~~~~~
We go through the tunnel under the alps to the other side of the border and we have landed in the area around Nice which should've hosted the Grand Depart this year. A stage that has the potential to be frantic.

~~~~~~Stage 9 by ASO~~~~~~
First real mountain top finish for the riders. The Mont Colombis is a monsterous climb but never visited by the Tour or any other race.

~~~~~~Rest day in Gap~~~~~~

~~~~~~Stage 10 by ASO~~~~~
A hilly stage that could create some gaps inbetween the main contenders. It features short and steep climbs north of the Mont Ventoux. The last 3 climbs can be viewed above.

~~~~~~Stage 11 by ASO~~~~~~
The only ITT this tour, surprisingly organised by the ASO. It is contested west of the Ventoux, the riders first ride uphill on the same road that leads to the top of the "Bald Mountain" but turn right just before Saint-Estève, A climb in the middle and a short climb to the beautiful town of Venasque

~~~~~~Stage 12 by ASO~~~~~~
A seemingly easy stage but the September winds and gruesome Mont Saint-Clair can throw a spanner in the works, this will be either a boring flat stage or an echelon festival.

~~~~~~Stage 13 by ASO~~~~~~
The last stage in France before we finish in Paris and another flat stage.

~~~~~~Stage 14 by Unipublic~~~~~~
The Coll de Jou awaits the riders today, on first glance an averagely decent climb but it's much harder than it looks. To add to this, the road close to the top is narrow.

~~~~~~Stage 15 by Unipublic~~~~~~
The Bonaigua-Pla de Beret combo is what the riders have to tackle, it's the only time the riders go above 2000m this tour. The Bonaigua can stimulate long range attacks before dealing the last punch to the top of the Pla de Beret. There is a piece of just over 1km of flat on the Pla de Beret.

~~~~~~Rest day in Vielha~~~~~~

~~~~~~Stage 16 by Unipublic~~~~~~
Some riders may fear this stage as it's contested on the same roads which saw half the peloton finish outside of the time limit, they were lucky as the organizers let them race on. It features false flats that can crack weaker riders and steep hills that will be tackled by the world's best.

~~~~~~Stage 17 by Unipublic~~~~~~
This is a stage for the strong sprinters or the breakaway. The last kilometers go uphill but ever so slightly.

~~~~~~Stage 18 by Unipublic~~~~~~
The first Mountain stage of a northern Spain tryptique. Finish is on a fairly steep climb

~~~~~~Stage 19 by Unipublic~~~~~~
Many climbs and a fairly flat finish. You may ask whya I didn't do it in revers order with the Lunada last as it is the hardest climb then. I didn't do it because this way there is 1 more climb and the race isn't only focussed on the last climb.

~~~~~~Stage 20 by Unipublic~~~~~~
The last mountain stage is on the Angliru which needs no introduction, just like the irl Vuelta plans to do. The approach to the climb is a little different with the steep Coll d'Espines.

~~~~~~Plain flight from Aeropuerto de Asturias to Paris (No rest day)~~~~~~

~~~~~~Stage 21 by ASO~~~~~~
After a plain trip from Spain it's time for the last stage, the well known parade in Paris.

I'm sorry if this is really long, but quarantine gave me a lot of time
mauro
Under 23
Under 23

Post by mauro »

Ecco il percorso che ho disegnato. Ho inserito otto tappe di montagna (con 5 arrivi in salita), sei tappe di pianura, quattro tappe di media montagna, due ITT e una TTT. I due giorni di riposo sono collocati in occasione del primo lungo trasferimento verso l’Italia e dopo l’ultima tappa italiana. L’ultimo trasferimento assomoglia a quello previsto al Tour 2020 dai Vosgi a Parigi. Da notare che le prime due cronometro, disegnate a cavallo del confine di stato, rappresentano una sorta di passaggio di consegne tra Tour, Giro e Vuelta e i rispettivi organizzatori.

Here is the path i designed. I entered eight mountain stages (with 5 uphill arrivals), six lowland stages, four medium mountain stages, two ITT and one TTT. The two days of rest are placed on the occasion of the first long transfer to Italy and after the last Italian stop. The latest transfer resembles that scheduled for the 2020 Tour from the Vosges to Paris. It should be noted that the first two time trial, drawn across the state border, represent a sort of handover between Tour, Giro and Vuelta and their respective organizers.

maps/tours/view/14171

Stage 1: Hendaye - Irun (TTT, 24.5 Km)

Si inizia con una TTT veloce ma non troppo, disegnata in gran parte in territorio francese. Il percorso potrebbe risultare insidioso per il vento che spira dall’oceano e per la presenza di due tratti da percorrere in salita. Organizzatore: Unipublic

It starts with a fast but not too fast TTT, designed largely in French territory. The route could be insidious due to the wind blowing from the ocean and the presence of two sections to be covered uphill. Organizer: Unipublic

Stage 2: Donostia/San Sebastián – Arnedo (200 Km)

Si attraversano i Paesi Baschi per giungere nella Comunità Autonoma della Rioja. Il percorso è di media montagna e presenta nel finale la doppia ascesa (da due versanti diversi) all’Alto de Arnedo. L’ultima ascesa è la più impegnativa (1.3 Km al 6.6%) e termina a soli 2.5 Km da un traguardo che stuzzica i finisseur. Non va esclusa la probabilità di un arrivo allo sprint, con davanti i velocisti più resistenti. Organizzatore: Unipublic

We cross the Basque Country to reach the Autonomous Community of Rioja. The route is medium mountain and presents a double ascent (from two different sides) to Alto de Arnedo in the end. The last ascent is the most demanding (1.3 Km to 6.6%) and ends just 2.5 Km from a finish that tickles the finisseurs. The probability of an arrival in the sprint must not be excluded, with the most resistant sprinters ahead. Organizer: Unipublic

Stage 3: Soria - La Almunia de Doña Godina (156.5 Km)

Si parte dalla Comunità Autonoma di Castiglia e León per arrivare in Aragona. Si tratta delle prima delle sei tappe definite pianeggianti, favorevole ai velocisti. Previsto un circuito finale di 5 Km, da ripetere una sola volta. Organizzatore: Unipublic

It starts from the Autonomous Community of Castile and León to arrive in Aragon. These are the first of the six stages defined as flat, favorable to sprinters. A final 5 km circuit is foreseen, to be repeated only once. Organizer: Unipublic

Stage 4: Calatayud - Gandesa (238.5 Km)

Dall’Aragona alla Catalogna si disputa la più lunga tra le sei tappe disegnate in terra spagnola. Il percorso è ondulato ma i saliscendi che caratterizzano il finale non dovrebbero impedire l’arrivo allo sprint. Organizzatore: Unipublic

From Aragon to Catalonia the longest of the six stages designed on Spanish soil is held. The path is undulating but the ups and downs that characterize the finish should not prevent the arrival of the sprint. Organizer: Unipublic

Stage 5: Fraga - Cerler (Alto de Ampriu) (168.2 Km)

Prima delle sei tappe pirenaiche (ma la seconda e la terza sono di media montagna), che debuttano con l’arrivo in salita all’Alto de Ampriu, una dozzina di chilometri al 5.9%, ma questi numeri sono mitigati dalla presenza di alcune contropendenze. Organizzatore: Unipublic

Before the six Pyrenean stages (but the second and third are medium mountain), which debut with the arrival uphill to the Alto de Ampriu, a dozen kilometers at 5.9%, but these numbers are mitigated by the presence of some counter-slopes. Organizer: Unipublic

Stage 6: Benasque - Balaguer (168 Km)

Dopo la prima tappa di montagna si ritorna a bassa quota con una tappa di trasferimento di media montagna ideale per imbastire fughe da lontano con ottime possibilità di andare al traguardo. Organizzatore: Unipublic

After the first mountain stage you return to low altitude with a medium mountain transfer stage ideal for basting long distance escapes with excellent possibilities to go to the finish. Organizer: Unipublic

Stage 7: Tarrega - Andorra la Vella (154 Km)

Sconfinamento nel principato di Andorra per l’ultima tappa organizzata da Unipublic. Nonostante l’ambientazione si tratta di una tappa di media montagna, resa insidiosa dallo sterrato del Camí de les Pardines, tratto pianeggiante che si affronterà dopo l’ultima salita e che lo scorso anno fu inserito nel percorso della tappa di Cortals d'Encamp della Vuelta. Organizzatore: Unipublic

Crossing into the Principality of Andorra for the last stage organized by Unipublic. Despite the setting, it is a medium mountain stage, made insidious by the dirt road of the Camí de les Pardines, a flat stretch that will be tackled after the last climb and which last year was included in the route of the Cortals d'Encamp stage of the Vuelta. Organizer: Unipublic

Stage 8: Escaldes-Engordany - Ax-les-Termes (158.5 Km)

Il testimone passa ad ASO che allestisce il palcoscenico delle rimanenti tappe pirenaiche. In partenza si affronta la prima delle tre ascese over 2000 previste dal tracciato, il Port d’Envalira. Tale quota viene successivamente sfiorata in vetta alla principale salita di giornata, il Port de Pailhères (16.6 Km al 7.2%), dalla cui cima si devono percorrere 20 Km per andare al traguardo, tutti in discesa. Organizzatore: ASO

The baton passes to ASO which sets up the stage for the remaining Pyrenean stages. At the start we face the first of the three ascents over 2000 foreseen by the route, the Port d Envalira. This altitude is then touched at the top of the main climb of the day, the Port de Pailhères (16.6 Km at 7.2%), from the top of which you have to travel 20 Km to go to the finish, all downhill. Organizer: ASO

Stage 9: Foix - Le Mourtis (152.4 Km)

L’ultima tappa pirenaica presenta un tracciato meno difficile rispetto a quello della giornata precedente, pur proponendo l’arrivo in salita. L’ascesa finale alla stazione di sport invernali di Le Mourtis è la prosecuzione del noto Col de Menté. Organizzatore: ASO

The last Pyrenean stage has a less difficult track than that of the previous day, while still proposing the arrival uphill. The final ascent to the Le Mourtis winter sports station is the continuation of the well-known Col de Menté. Organizer: ASO

Rest day (monday)

Stage 10: Menton – Ventimiglia (ITT, 31.3 Km)

Entra in scena RCS con un’insidiosa ITT disegna a cavallo tra Francia e Italia. La porzione francese del tracciato è ondulata, ma le insidie maggiore si incontreranno una volta superato il confine di stato: prima la salita verso Grimaldi Superiore poi il GPM di Castel d’Appio, 3 Km al 8.6% seguita da una discesa tecnica, su carreggiata non larghissima. Organizzatore: RCS

RCS enters the scene with an insidious ITT draws between France and Italy. The French portion of the track is undulating, but the greatest pitfalls will meet once you have crossed the state border: first the climb to Grimaldi Superiore then the GPM of Castel d'Appio, 3 km at 8.6% followed by a technical descent, on the roadway not very wide. Organizer: RCS

Stage 11: Bordighera – Alessandria (214 Km)

È la prima delle tre tappe per velocisti disegnate in terra italiana. La prima parte del tracciata ricalca al contrario le rotte della Milano-Sanremo, con Poggio, Cipressa e Capo Berta affrontate dai versanti che alla “Classicissima” si percorrono in discesa. Organizzatore: RCS

It is the first of three stages for sprinters designed on Italian soil. On the contrary, the first part of the route follows the routes of the Milan-Sanremo, with Poggio, Cipressa and Capo Berta faced by the slopes that at the "Classicissima" are covered downhill. Organizer: RCS

Stage 12: Novi Ligure - Codogno (145.5 Km)

Tappa dedicata alle vittime del Coronavirus. Si arriva nel cuore della prima “zona rossa” dopo un percorso prevalentemente pianeggiante, ma che presenta comunque piccole insidie altimetriche che daranno un po’ di “pepe” alla corsa. Lungo il percorso si devono, infatti, tre giri di un circuito disegnato tra i vigneti della collina di San Colombano al Lambro, dove si andrà ad affrontare una brevissima salita di 800 metri al 7.4%. Manca il pavè, ma è un percorso che ricorda un po’ quello della Gand-Wevelgem. Organizzatore: RCS

Stage dedicated to Coronavirus victims. You arrive in the heart of the first "red zone" after a mainly flat route, but which nevertheless has small altimetric pitfalls that will give a little "pepper" to the race. Along the way, in fact, three laps of a circuit drawn between the vineyards of the hill of San Colombano al Lambro, where you will face a very short climb of 800 meters to 7.4%, must be done. Cobblestone is missing, but it is a path that reminds a little of that of Ghent-Wevelgem. Organizer: RCS

Stage 13: Lodi - Bergamo (146.5 Km)

Ancora profumo di classiche in un’altra tappa dedicata alle vittime del Coronavirus. Il finale prevede per due volte la salita acciottolata della Boccola (Bergamo Alta), in mezzo alle quale si dovrà affrontare anche la salita di San Vigilio: è un percorso che mixa i sapori del Giro delle Fiandre e quello delle corse valloni e che vedrà sugli scudi anche gli uomini di classifica alla vigilia dei tapponi alpini. Organizzatore: RCS

Another scent of classics in another stage dedicated to the victims of the Coronavirus. The finish includes twice the cobbled climb of the Boccola (Bergamo Alta), in the middle of which you will also have to face the climb of San Vigilio: it is a route that mixes the flavors of the Tour of Flanders and that of the Walloon races and which will see it also shields the ranking men on the eve of the Alpine stages. Organizer: RCS

Stage 14: Milano - Châtillon (237 Km)

È la prima delle due tappe di montagna interamente tracciate in territorio italiano. Nel finale si deve salire per due volte sul Col de Joux; la seconda scalata viene affrontata in maniera parziale, dopo esser scollinati anche sul difficile Colle di Zuccore, molto impegnativo anche in discesa. Organizzatore: RCS

It is the first of two mountain stages entirely traced in Italian territory. In the end you have to climb the Col de Joux twice; the second climb is tackled in a partial way, after having gone downhill also on the difficult Colle di Zuccore, very demanding even downhill. Organizer: RCS

Stage 15: Aosta - Piccolo San Bernardo (158.5 Km)

L’ultima tappa di montagna disegnata in Italia propone un abbinamento spesso risultato molto selettivo, quello tra un’ascesa molto impegnativa (il Colle San Carlo, ricordate la tappa di Courmayeur del Giro dello scorso anno?) e una successiva che, invece, presenta pendenze non particolarmente difficili. Quest’ultima è il Piccolo San Bernardo, “Cima Coppi” dell’intero Giro. Organizzatore: RCS

The last mountain stage designed in Italy offers a combination that is often very selective, the one between a very demanding ascent (Colle San Carlo, remember the Courmayeur stage of the Giro last year?) And a subsequent one that, instead, presents slopes not particularly difficult. The latter is the Piccolo San Bernardo, "Cima Coppi" of the entire Giro. Organizer: RCS

Stage 16: Verrès - Avigliana (172 Km)

Prima di lasciare l’Italia e consegnare il “bastone del comando” agli organizzatori di ASO si disputa la penultima tappa destinata ai velocisti. Il percorso è abbastanza articolato ma i saliscendi che si incontreranno strada facendo si allenteranno nel finale, dove dovrà essere affrontato un circuito di una ventina di chilometri. Organizzatore: RCS

Before leaving Italy and giving the "stick of command" to the organizers of ASO, the penultimate stage for sprinters is disputed. The route is quite articulated but the ups and downs that will be encountered along the way will slacken at the end, where a circuit of about twenty kilometers will have to be tackled. Organizer: RCS

Rest day (tuesday)

Stage 17: Bardonecchia – Alpe d’Huez (114 Km)

È la tappa di montagna più breve, ma anche una delle più attese. Il “via!” è in salita verso il Col de l'Échelle, poi il Lautaret sarà la terza ed ultima salita over 2000. Nothing to say about the mythical final ascent. Organizzatore: ASO

It is the shortest mountain stage, but also one of the most awaited. The start!" it is uphill towards Col de l'Échelle, then Lautaret will be the third and last ascent in 2000. It does not need to transfer the mythical final ascent. Organizer: ASO

Stage 18: Le Bourg-d'Oisans - Les Gets (253 Km)

Alla tappa di montagna più breve segue quella più lunga, il cui modello del finale è il medesimo della tappa del Piccolo San Bernardo. Stavolta, però, dopo la salita più impegnativa – il Col de Joux Plane – si devono affrontare due ascese: la prima è il comunque non trascurabile Col de l'Encrenaz, l’ultima è la dolce ascesa finale verso Les Gets. Organizzatore: ASO

The shorter mountain stage is followed by the longer one, whose model of the ending is the same as the stage of the Piccolo San Bernardo. This time, however, after the most demanding climb - the Col de Joux Plane - two ascents have to be tackled: the first is the non-negligible Col de l'Encrenaz, the last is the sweet final ascent to Les Gets. Organizer: ASO

Stage 19: Annemasse – Besançon (242 Km)

È l’ultima occasione offerta ai velocisti, ma non sarà facile arrivare allo sprint, sia per i continui saliscendi, sia per la distanza che supera i 240 Km. Organizzatore: ASO

It is the last chance offered to sprinters, but it will not be easy to get to the sprint, both for the constant ups and downs, and for the distance that exceeds 240 Km. Organizer: ASO

Stage 20: Mélisey - Le Markstein (126 Km)

L’ultima tappa di montagna non è un “tappone” ma può far molto male. Le tappe brevi hanno provocato spesso sconquassi inattesi e, in questo caso, ci sono anche gli ingredienti perché ciò accada: l’ultima salita, che termina a 13 Km dall’arrivo, è la più impegnativa e in precedenza è previsto ancher un tratto sterrato di 4 km in leggera discesa, su strada molto bella e dal fondo compatto. Organizzatore: ASO

The last mountain stage is not a "stage" but it can hurt a lot. The short stages often caused unexpected disruptions and, in this case, there are also the ingredients for this to happen: the last climb, which ends 13 km from the arrival, is the most demanding and previously there is also a dirt track of 4 km slightly downhill, on a very beautiful and compact road. Organizer: ASO

Stage 21: Paris (ITT, 21.3 Km)

Gli Champs-Élysées sono sempre protagonisti ma stavolta l’ultimo atto è una ITT di poco più di 20 Km. Nella prima parte si percorrono gli “Champs” in direzione dell’Arco di Trionfo per poi proseguire con interminabili rettilinei verso il quartiere della Défense. Si ritorna quindi verso Place de la Concorde percorrendo al contrario la medesima strada, sulla corsia opposta. Quindi i passaggi al cospetto della basilica di Notre Dame e nei cortili del Louvre prima di ritrovare gli Champs-Élysées a 400 metri dall’ultimo traguardo. Organizzatore: ASO

The Champs-Élysées are always the protagonists but this time the last act is an ITT of just over 20 km. In the first part, you go along the "Champs" in the direction of the Arc de Triomphe and then continue with endless straights towards the Défense district . We then return to the Place de la Concorde on the contrary, following the same road, in the opposite lane. Then the passages in front of the Notre Dame and in the courtyards of the Louvre before finding the Champs-Élysées 400 meters from the last finish. Organizer: ASO

kanon16
Spettatore

Post by kanon16 »

Here my Grand Tour of the Grand Tours:
maps/tours/view/14180

- 3336 KM
- 3 ITT (62,8 Km)
- 6 Flat Stages
- 6 Medium Mountain Stages
- 6 High Mountain Stages
- 6 Top finishes (5 in the High Mountain Stages)
- 2 REST DAYS after stages 9 and 15

3 Mountains over 2000 m and under 2500 m:
- Sestriere, 2035 m (stage 9)
- Port de Pailhères, 2001 m (stage 15)
- Bola del Mundo, 2254 m (stage 19)

It starts from Rome with a Prologue of 7 Km and touches also Madrid in the stage 20 (ITT) before the caravan flies to Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport for the last classical day for sprinters.

Stage 1: Roma Piazza del Popolo > Roma Via dei Fori Imperiali: 7.02 Km (ITT) **
Organizer: RCS (1)
Prologue of 7 Km along the beautiful and thrilling roads of Rome (touching Villa Borghese, Piazza Venezia, Circo Massimo and Colosseo before the finish line in Via dei Fori Imperiali)

Stage 2: Albano Laziale > Rieti: 175.62 Km (Medium Mountain) ***
Organizer: RCS (2)
Not easy stage on the hills around Rome! Starting close to Castel Gandolfo (summer residence of the Popes), the routes faces 6 categorized climbs. The most demanding are Rocca di Cave (Km 47) and Colle Martello (Km 138, average slope of 8,1% and maximum of 13%), 37 Km from Rieti.
Not a decisive stage but the top riders will have to be in shape and very carefull! (The total ascent of the stage is about 3200 m)

Stage 3: Narni > Orbetello: 186.59 Km (Flat) **
Organizer: RCS (3)
First stage for sprinters. 3 easy GPM in the first half of the stage but nothing of impossible: from Valentano (characteristic village above the Bolsena Lake) the last 96 Km are really easy and on wide roads. Final circuit with 1 lap.

Stage 4: Castiglione della Pescaia > Certaldo: 170.97 Km (Medium Mountain) **
Organizer: RCS (4)
Hilly stage for finisseurs along the beautiful country of Tuscany. Montebello, Siena, Monteriggioni, San Giminiano are are just some of the fabulous places crossed by the race.
San Giminiano (with its famous towers) is also the last KOM of the stage, 16 Kilometres from the finish. Total ascent: about 2100 m.

Stage 5: Castelfiorentino > Val di Luce: 164.64 Km (High Mountain) ****
Organizer: RCS (5)
First High Mountain stage and top finish. Only two climbs, in a combination often very selective: the first very hard and the second not so much.
S. Pellegrino in Alpe is a very famous climb already visited some times by Giro d'Italia, 14 Km at 8,7% but with 3 Kilometers very demanding near the summit (Max slope 18%). Usually it's followed by the Abetone but I've found this climbs of Val di Luce which is new and very interesting in my opinion.
The total ascent of the stage is 3000 m.

Stage 6: Sassuolo > Novi Ligure: 223.78 Km (Flat) *
Organizer RCS (6)
Completely flat stage for sprinters. Quite long stage across the Padana Plain with no difficulties.

Stage 7: Finale Ligure > Cannes: 204.24 Km (Flat) **
Organizer: ASO (1)
Long stage completely by the sea across the wonderful Côte d'Azur.
Similar in some places to the Milano-Sanremo (Capo Mele and Capo Berta at the beginning), like the "Classicissima", the final may not be taken for granted and some surprises can happen.
The climb to Mougins and the curvy roads towards Cannes could create some problems to the sprinters.

Stage 8: Grasse > Espinasses (Barrage de Serre-Ponçon): 186.77 Km (Medium Mountain) ****
Organizer: ASO (2)
Demanding Middle mountain stage with 3800 m of ascent. It starts immediately with a 21 Km climb towards Pas de la Faye and this could create a race fought and hard from the beginning. 6 KOM, 187 Kilometers with not impossible slopes but without a meter of plain. Finish is above the Dam of Serre-Ponçon, with a beautiful view of the lake and the Alpes Cottiennes all around.

Stage 9: Embrun > Moncenisio: 217.42 Km (High Mountain) ****
Organizer: RCS (7)
Last stage before the first Rest Day. 3900 m of ascent and 6 KOM: the Race come back in Italy for the last time.
The stage will probably be decided in the last 30 kilometers but the first climbs (Montgenevre and Sestriere) will put tiredness in the legs of the riders.
The Moncenisio is demanding with the last 5 Kilometers at 10% average.

1° REST DAY

Stage 10: Nîmes > Nîmes: 36.19 Km (ITT) *****
Organizer: ASO (3)
Individual Time Trial for specialists in Nîmes, the capital of the Gard department. The roads are wide and straight in the first part, more winding returning to Nimes after the easy climb of Clarensac.

Stage 11: Arles > Agde: 155.26 Km (Flat) *
Organizer: ASO (4)
Completely flat stage from Arles (after Nîmes, an other historical city with an important Roman Arena) to Agde.
The race passes through the territory of the Camargue, a famous natural region located between the Mediterranean Sea and the two arms of the Rhône Delta.
The only problem for riders could be the wind, often strong, along the coast.

Stage 12: Cap d'Agde > Banyuls-sur-Mer: 189.86 Km (Flat) **
Organizer: ASO (5)
Last easy stage before the Pyrenees. Compared to the previous stage, the sprinters could have some more difficulties in the final, along the beautiful "Côte Vermeille": after Argeles-sur-Mer, the last 17 Kilometers have curvy roads and some up-and-down which could cause any attacks.

Stage 13: Figueres > Berga: 194.74 Km (Medium Mountain) ***
Organizer: Unipublic (1)
First stage in Spain, hilly and quite demanding in the second part, appetizer before the Great Mountains which are arriving.
5 KOM the last of which, at 6 Km from the finish line, has a steep final ramp at 15% and a short thrilling downhill between the houses of Berga.
The total ascent of the stage is about 3000 m.

Stage 14: Berga > Alto de Fumanya: 148.72 Km (High Mountain) ****
Organizer: Unipublic (2)
Demanding Mountain Top finish in the Pyrenees, on the green plateau above the Alto de Fumanya (first 11 Km at 8,2%), in a stage not so long but with 4000 m of ascent.
Decisive day for the top ranking men!

Stage 15: Ripoll > Ax-Les-Thermes: 227.35 Km (High Mountain) *****
Organizer: ASO (6)
Second day on the Pyrenees and Queen Stage of the TOUR!
5200 m of ascent, 6 categorized climbs, 225 Km and the Port de Pailhères (HC, 2001 m) as last sentence before the rest day: all the ingredients for a spectacular stage.
P.S. (10 of April 2020): I've changed something in this path (and in the next stage as a compensation, after a bit of rethinking) due to a road interrupted not visible on street view between Mont-Louis and Fontpedrouse, on the RN 116.

2° REST DAY

Stage 16: Oloron-Sainte-Marie > Port de Larrau: 99 Km (High Mountain) ****
Organizer: Unipublic (3)
Tricky stage after the rest day: the shortest in line (only 99 km) but very selective, with the long climb of Pierre Saint Martin quite irregular, divided into two sectors, the first very hard towards Station d'Issarbe and Col d'Hourcère (11 Km at 8,8%).
The Port de Larrau is not so terrible but the group may already be very small at the beginning of the last climb.
The total ascent is about 2800 m.

Stage 17: Pamplona > Donostia San Sebastian: 238.31 Km (Medium Mountain) ****
Organizer: Unipublic (4)
After the shortest, here is the longest stage of the Tour! Demanding hilly stage (3800 m of ascent) which follows the roads of San Sebastian Classic.
The last 70 Kilometers are really crazy with the Jaizkibel, Erlaitz and the deadly Murgill-Tontorra, before the downhill towards Donostia.
Stage for GC top riders and classic-men like Alaphilippe or Valverde.

Stage 18: Altsasu > Soria: 186.48 Km (Medium Mountain) **
Organizer: Unipublic (5)
Classical transfer stage suitable for breakaways. The climbs are not too difficult and the GC riders will be able to pass a peaceful day before the final stages.
Total ascent: about 2500 m

Stage 19: Riaza > La Bola del Mundo: 185.83 Km (High Mountain) *****
Organizer: Unipublic (6)
Here we are! The last chance for grimpeurs is a 185 Km stage with 4300 m of ascent, 5 KOM and the top finish at the Bola del Mundo.
The stage is very similar to the decisive stage of the 2012 Vuelta, won by Alberto Contador.
The last climb is really demanding: 11 Km at 8,7%, the last 3 Km at 12% and maximum slope of 23%.

Stage 20: Madrid > Madrid: 19.66 Km (ITT) ***
Organizer: Unipublic (7)
ITT between the streets of Madrid!
The first half is winding and not plain, crossing the great natural park of "Casa del Campo": in this sector, non-specialists will be able to defend themselves.
The second half, at the opposite, walks in the large historical avenues of the city.
Finish line in the Plaza de la Cibeles, as usual in the Vuelta. Transfer to Paris by Plane.

Stage 21: Parc des Expositions > Paris - Champs Elysée: 122.15 Km (Flat) *
Organizer: ASO (7)
The last stage is for sprinters, in the unique setting of the Champs Elysée.
Starting at Parc des Expositions, just close to the Airport Charles de Gaulle, the stage, with one easy climb at Chauvry, goes towards the usual circuit (3 laps) between the Louvre and the Arc de Triumph, made famous by the Tour de France.
Last edited by kanon16 on 10/04/2020, 17:24, edited 17 times in total.
Micek_52
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by Micek_52 »

This is my submission for the Grand Tour of the Grand Tours contest. My route consists of 8 flat stages (one with many cobbled sectors), 3 medium mountain stages, 7 mountain stages (five of which have a mountain-top finish) and 3 time trials for a total race distance of 3366 kilometres. The route features 73 categorised climbs (8x HC, 16x C1, 20x C2, 13xC3 and 16x C4)
Stages 1-3, 11-13 and 21 are organised by ASO, stages 4-10 are organised by RCS and stages 14-20 are organised by Unipublic. Four of the 21 stages take place outside of Italy, France or Spain (Stages 4 and 5 in Slovenia, Stage 11 in Monaco and Stage 15 in Andorra). The race also features two plane transfers (the first one after the stage 3 from North of France to the Italian-Slovenian border and the second one after stage 20 from Madrid to Paris)

The race will also be run on courses of other events which were cancelled (some Monuments, but also Monaco GP and Tour of Slovenia)

*** Based on the description posted in the competition rules it looks like the Grand Tour would take place from 5.9. to 27.9.***

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OVERALL PLAN: maps/tours/view/14177

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STAGE 1 (Saturday, 05.09.20): Mont-Saint-Michel -> Trouville-sur-Mer; 225,5 km (Flat)
Opening stage of the tour on the coasts of Normandy. An easy stage with a few rolling hills, although the climb to Auberville 13km from the finish could lead to some sprinters being dropped.
~~~~~

STAGE 2 (Sunday, 06.09.20): Le Havre -> Amiens; 216 km (Flat)
An even easier stage than the first one takes the riders from Normandy to the Hauts-de-France region. The riders will also cross the Seine river estuary via the Pont-de-Normandie. A stage to end with a bunch sprint.
~~~~~

STAGE 3 (Monday, 07.09.20): Cambrai -> Roubax; 152 km (Flat with cobblestones)
A stage dedicated to the Paris-Roubaix classic features 18 cobbled sectors totaling 30,4 km in length. While the first few sectors were taken out, the riders will still have to tackle the most iconic cobblestones (Arenberg, Pont Gibus, Mons-en-Pevele, Camphin-en-Pevele and Carrefour de l' Arbre). The stage is short to allow for a plane transfer.

~~~ PLANE TRANSFER FROM LILLE AIRPORT TO AIRPORT RONCHI DEL LEGIONARI (no rest day) ~~~

STAGE 4 (Tuesday, 08.09.20): Nova Gorica -> Sveta Gora; 35,5 km (Mountain Time Trial)
First of the two stages held in Slovenia (organised by RCS) is a Mountain time trial. The stages in Slovenia are in the race to substitute the cancelled Tour of Slovenia but also to commemorate 100 years of Italian occupation of Western Slovenia (which lasted 27 years from 1920 to 1947).
The time trial starts in Nova Gorica and 25 flat kilometres. The flat section is followed by a climb to Rafut (1 km at about 8%) to soften the legs, and then finaly the ascent to Sveta Gora (5,5 km @ 9,7%). This time trial is similar to the time trial to the Planche des Belles Filles.

~~~~~

STAGE 5 (Wednesday, 09.09.20): Most na Soci -> Mangartsko sedlo; 199 km (High Mountain)
Stage 5 is a very scenic stage, albeit also a tough one (D+ = 4974m). It starts at Most na Soci, then passes through the Baca Valley, by the lakes Bled and Bohinj and through the valley of Sava Dolinka with two mountain passes in between. After Kranjska gora the Vrsic pass (9km @ 8,3%) which has 50 hairpins, 24 of them are cobbled. On the summit of Vrsic the bonus seconds will be awarded for the first time in the race. After Vrsic the route follows the river Soca to the final climb of the day - Mount Mangart (17km @ 8,4%). The last 10 kilometers are run on a very narrow and scenic road. Mount Mangart is also the first time the race goes over 2000m.

~~~~~

STAGE 6 (Thursday, 10.09.20): Tarvisio -> Longarone; 164 km (Medium Mountain):
After a quick jump over the border, stage 6 start in Tarvisio. First 60 kilometres of the stage are downhill, followed by a climb to Passo Mauria (via Cima Corso and Forni di Sopra). The stage finishes at the Vajont dam above the town of Longarone, site of the 1963 dam disaster that killed 2.000 people.

~~~~~

STAGE 7 (Friday, 11.09.20): Padova -> Parma; 195 km (Flat):
A pancake flat stage suited for sprinters. Not much to say here.
~~~~~

STAGE 8 (Saturday, 12.09.20): Monza -> Como; 173 km (Medium Mountain):
The route of this stage passes through the racetrack in Monza, after that, the last 140 kilometres are the same as Il Lombardia classic with Colle Brianza, Madonna del Ghisalo, the infamous Muro di Sormano, Civiglio and San Fermo della Bataglia.

~~~~~

STAGE 9 (Sunday, 13.09.20): Pinerolo -> Alpe d' Huez; 217 km (High Mountain):
An epic mountain stage (D+ 5541). Starting from Pinerolo, the rider first face a 51 kilometre long climb to Sestriere, then they cross the border into France on the top of the Colle di Monginevro. Next Climb is Col du Lautaret (22km @ 3,2%) and then a double climb to Alpe d'Huez (13,1km @ 8,3%). On the first passage of the Alpe d'Huez bonus seconds will be given.

~~~ REST DAY (Monday, 14.09.20) ~~~

STAGE 10 (Tuesday, 15.09.20): Acqui Terme -> San Remo; 194 km (Flat):
After a tough weekend in the mountains and a rest day its back to the sprinters. The course is the same as Milano-San Remo without the first ~100 km. The riders will face Passo del Turchino, the three 'Capi', Cipressa and the Poggio before sprinters battle it out on the Via Roma in Sanremo.
~~~~~

STAGE 11 (Wednesday, 16.09.20): Monaco -> Monaco; 20 km (Individual Time Trial):
After leaving Italy, it's time for the next ASO stage. This time a time trial on the streets of Monaco (Monte Carlo). The riders will ride the famous Monaco GP (cancelled in 2020) lap six times.

~~~~~

STAGE 12 (Thursday, 17.09.20): Nice -> Nice; 205 km (High Mountain):
A combination of 8th stage of Paris-Nice and the second stage of Tour de france, stage 12 features 8 categorized climbs with the hardest of them being Col de Turini (15km @ 7,2%).

~~~~~

STAGE 13 (Friday, 18.09.20): Aix-en-Provence -> Montpellier; 204 km (Flat):
A flat stage for sprinters, however Montpellier is usually very windy, so there is a possibility for the bunch to split up into echelons.
~~~~~

STAGE 14 (Saturday, 19.09.20): Perpignan > Valter2000; 183,5 km (High Mountain):
A mountainous stage on the French-Spanish border (organised by Unipublic). Featuring Coll d' Ares (13km @ 5,9%) and the final climb to Valter2000 (20,3km @ 4,8%), the stage is a good warmup for what is about to come on the next day.

~~~~~

STAGE 15 (Sunday, 20.09.20): Andorra La Vella > El Forn; 140,5 km (High Mountain):
One of the two epic stages of the Grand Tour with D+ of 5229, it follows the route of the stage 11 of the 2015 Vuelta, except that Cortals d' Encamp was replaced with a sub-2000m El Forn. The route features Coll de Beixalis (6,5km @ 8,3%), Coll d' Ordino (9,5km @ 7%), Coll de la Rabassa (13km @ 6,9%), Collada de la Gallina (11,5km @ 8,4%) and El Forn (5km @ 7,6%).

~~~REST DAY (Monday, 21.09.20)~~~

STAGE 16 (Tuesday, 22.09.20): Zaragoza -> Pamplona; 208 km (Flat):
Last chance for the sprinters before the final stage
~~~~~

STAGE 17 (Wednesday, 23.09.20): Bilbao -> Valdició: 158,5 km (Medium Mountain):
Similar to last year's stage from Bilbao to Los Machucos, but with final loop reversed and an added climb to Valdició.

~~~~~

STAGE 18 (Thusday, 24.09.20): Santander -> Monte Corona; 205,5 Km (High mountain):
A mountain stage in the hinterland of Santander, the stage features many smaller climbs and even the highest point is bellow 1000m of altitude (Collao Pelea; 7,5km @ 11,6%), but all these climbs are very hard and steep and the total D+ ammounts to almost 4500m.

~~~~~

STAGE 19 (Friday, 25.09.20): Oviedo -> Alto de L' Angliru; 129 Km (High mountain):
Last mountain stage of the tour features 3 HC climbs in a distance of about 80km. First off Alto de la Cobertoria (8,5km @ 9,5%), then Ermita d' Alba (6,8km @ 10,7%) and finally the Alto de L' Angliru (12km v 10,1%). The stage might be short, but it is still a very hard one.

~~~~~

STAGE 20 (Saturday, 26.09.20): Madrid -> Madrid; 29 Km (Individual Time Trial):
Third and final time trial takes place on the streets of Madrid. Starting in the centre, the course than heads through Parque Forestal Adolfo Suarez before finishing on the circuit used on the final stage of Vuelta. This is the final opportunity for a change in the standings before the parade on the Champs-Elyses.

~~~PLANE TRANSFER FROM MADRID TO PARIS (no rest)~~~

STAGE 21 (Sunday, 27.09.20): Montgeron > Paris Champs-Elysées; 112,5 Km (Plain):
The final stage is reserved for the traditional parade finish on the Champs-Elysees. Nothing else to say.

That 's it. I hope you like my course. :happy:
maps/tours/view/14177

Micek_52
Last edited by Micek_52 on 09/04/2020, 0:22, edited 1 time in total.
Anderson
Spettatore

Post by Anderson »

Hello
I'm interested in participating, but I have some questions:

1) What is the maximum distance for transfers (except Stage 21)?
2) Can we have big transfers (more than 300km) on the rest day(s)?
3) Is the Paris stage supposed to be the classic sprinters stage or can we have an ITT?
4) Can we go into Covid-19 affected areas like Lombardia, Madrid or Grand Est?

Thanks in advance ;)
--------------------------------------------
3rd place Tour de France Contest 2020
2nd place Tour de France Contest 2021
Diego12Alpe
Spettatore

Post by Diego12Alpe »

This is my Grand Tour: maps/tours/view/14184

Stages organized by ASO (8-9-10-18-19-20-21), Unipublic(1-2-3-4-5-6-7) and RCS(11-12-13-14-15-16-17)

STAGE 1 | Santiago de Compostela · Baiona (174,91Km)

This is the start of this Grand Tour in Spain. First part of the stage with some climbs where the breakaway will fight for the first KOM climbs. The last 30km goes near the Atlantic Ocean.

STAGE 2 | Pontevedra · Fisterra (189.55Km)

Not the hardest stage but one of the hardest climbs, Mirador de Ézaro. There the peloton will split up and the strongest riders will fight for the stage victory and maybe we will see there the first leader with serious options in the general classification.

STAGE 3 | A Coruña · Ribadeo (166,56Km)

Another stage for sprinters. In the first part of the stage there are two climb with low slopes. The last kilometer is not completely flat, it have slopes around 3% and that could make it hard for some sprinters.

STAGE 4 | Luarca · Santuario de Covadonga (205,48Km)

First important stage for the GC contenders. The last two climbs are hard and then the last 10Km have slopes around 3% or 4% until the finish line, which is located at the start of the climb Lagos de Covadonga.

STAGE 5 | Playa de Liencres · Torrelavega (20,41Km)

Not the longest time trial but a hard one. The terrain is always going up and down. The first big gaps in the general classification could be made here.

STAGE 6 | Santander · Castro Urdiales (186,42Km)

Typical medium mountain stage with second and third category climbs. This stage could be for the breakaway.

STAGE 7 | Bilbao · San Sebastian (160,97Km)

Flat stage before the Pyrenees and the last one in Spain. Flat but not all because the roads in the Basque Country are always going up and down.

STAGE 8 | Bayonne · La Pierre Saint Martin (193,92Km)

First mountain stage with an uphill finish. Not the typical end in La Pierre Saint Martin because the idea of this finish is see attacks and moves in Col de la Hourcère.

STAGE 9 | Lourdes · Luz-Saint-Sauveur (216,49Km)

Last first week stage and also last stage in Pyrenees. Very hard mountain stage with some big climbs. This is a stage where there can be big strategic moves if you are losing time in the general classification.

REST DAY 1 | Marseille

STAGE 10 | Marseille · Nice (199,62Km)

Flat and easy stage to start the second week of racing. The last 40Km goes near the Mediterranean Sea.

STAGE 11 | Savona · Novara (176,99Km)

First day in Italy with this stage for sprinters. The famous climb Passo del Turchino is in the first part of the day and then in the last part of the stage there could be wind in the open fields, this is a clear echelons day if there is wind.

STAGE 12 | Milano (17,90Km)

Time trial in the streets of Milano.

STAGE 13 | Monza · Albino (162,37Km)

The last two climbs will be the key part of this stage. Maybe here a GC contender who lost time in the time trial of the day before wants to make a move.

STAGE 14 | Bergamo · Edolo (217,52Km)

First big mountain stage day in Italy. There is terrain to make a move in the first part of the stage with Passo San Marco, and then the last part with Valico di Trivigno and Passo del Mortirolo is a very hard.

STAGE 15 | Trento · Cles (181,65Km)

This is the perfect stage to end the second week of racing if you want to attack from the start, in the first part there are long climbs with low gradient where you can get big difference with the bunch. In the last kilometeres is Forcella di Brez, which is a hard and steep climb where you can make a move to win the stage.

REST DAY 2 | Cuneo

STAGE 16 | Cuneo · Rivoli (214,94Km)

One of the most difficult stages in the strategic part for the GC contenders. You can attack at the start of the stage and increase your gap in the climbs, also you can attack with a team move in Colle di Sampeyre and then open a gap in the next climb or maybe you want to wait and make a move before Pinerolo in the open fields if it is a windy day.

STAGE 17 | Torino · Aosta (164,21Km)

Last day in Italy with a perfect day to see a breakaway win. The sprinters teams will be tired and will be difficult for them to control the breakaway, and the GC contenders will be waiting for the next three big mountain stages to make their move.

STAGE 18 | Chamonix-Mont-Blanc · Morzine (189,00Km)

The two last climbs will be the key part if you want the stage win, but there are also two hard climbs in the middle part where there could be strategic attacks or a big selection in the bunch.

STAGE 19 | Annecy · Arc 1800 (213,19Km)

Long stage, all day climbing and an uphill finish. If there is a lot of pace during the day, attacks at the start of Arc 1800 could open big gaps between the GC riders.

STAGE 20 | Modane · Moûtiers (162,85Km)

Last option for the GC riders, if you want to win this Grand Tour you have to go full gas all the stage. In this four long climbs we can see fireworks if the fight for the GC is still on.

STAGE 21 | Saint-Denis · Paris (82,20Km)

This Grand Tour ends in the typical Paris stage for sprinters.
benoît.guillot
Juniores
Juniores

Post by benoît.guillot »

Grand Tour of the Grands Tours
An co-organization by ASO, RCS and Unipublic

Main caracteristics :
- 3475km including 58km agianst the clock (ITT and TTT)
- 56 KOM sprints with 3 HC, 10 1st, 10 2nd, 13 3rd and 20 4th.
- 6 High mountain stages with 3 top finishes
- 3 medium moutain stages with 1 top finish
- 10 flat stages
- 1 ITT of 40km and 1 TTT of 18km

FROM ROMA TO PARIS
maps/tours/view/14178

Stage 1 : Roma - Cita Vaticano -> Roma - Circo Massimo // TTT // 18km (by RCS)

Leaving the Bacilico San Pietro for one of the most beautiful big start in the history of the three Grands Tours, Teams will ride against the clock on the large, flat and straight boulevard of the italian capital. This will be the occasion of rediscover some of the most beautiful roman pieces of history.

Stage 2 : Roma -> Grosseto // Flat // 191km (by RCS)

Leaving the capital by the very first climb of this edition, the riders will go along the Tyrrhenian Sea to reach Grosseto. No difficulties on this stage except for the wind which could be dangerous for leaders soon in the Tour.

Stage 3 : Siena -> Imola // Medium Mountain // 183km (by RCS)

One of the first challenge for leaders. Some beautiful climb to reach Imola. The leader jersey will certainly go to another man shoulders but leaders will probably want to delay the big fight.

Stage 4 : Bologna -> Cremona // Flat // 183km (by RCS)

No doubt this time, the Pô plain will crown a sprinter. No climb, pratically no difficulties, long straight flat roads to join Cremona.

Stage 5 : Parma -> Milano // Flat // 181km (by RCS)

Another flat stages but the strong guys would try this time to go attacking, even if it would be difficult to cut this other one from the sprinters. Some climbs on the road to enforce the best climber jersey.

Stage 6 : Milano -> Alpe Devero // High Mountain // 154km (by RCS)

This will be the first important stage of the Tour. No difficulties before arriving in Domodossola and beginning the ascent of the Alpe Devero, 1622m high and the first HC climb of the Tour.

Stage 7 : Domodossola -> Interlaken // High Mountain // 177km (by RCS)

One stage that smell good Giro. No rest, no flat, only climb. Simplon Pass, Grimselpass and the brand new Grosse Scheidegg, only known for those who rode The Switzerland Tour.

REST DAY IN BERN

Stage 8 : Bern -> Besançon - Citadelle // Medium Mountain // 183km (by ASO)

ASO take the organization after the first rest Day in Bern. Going to France through the Jura will give an important first stage for them, with the all mighty arrival in la Citadelle de Besançon. Leaders will have to be attentive, despite the two difficult last stages and the reste day.

Stage 9 : Besançon - Lyon // Flat // 219km (by ASO)

The longest day. 219km to access to "La Capitale Des Gaules", the 2nd biggest city in France. Great day for the Breakaway specialist who will fight all day for victory against the sprinters.

Stage 10 : Bourgoin-Jallieu - Station de l'Alpe du Grand Serre // High Moutain // 191km (by ASO)

May be the queen stage of this edition, 158km only but 4 climbs for close to 3000m of vertical climbing, ending with the Station du Grand Serre, reaching 1386m after 15km at 6.5%. A strong man will put the leader jersey on after this one but will he be strong enough to bring it back all the way to Paris?

Stage 11 : Grenoble -> Valréas // Flat // 172km (by ASO)

A Little bit of calm between Alps and Pyrennés, Sprinters will take once again the first role in this one. The finish line is drawn in the only departemental exclave in France : the Town of Valréas, part of the department of Vaucluse but completely surrounded by the departement of Drôme.

Stage 12 : Vaison-la-Romaine -> Montpellier // Flat // 154km (by ASO)

After leaving the majesteous romain ruins in Vaison-la-Romaine (a nod to the first stages in Roma), sprinters will fight along to reach Montpellier. Riders would see the Pont du Gard from their bike !

Stage 13 : Montpellier -> Carcassone - Cité Médiévale // Flat // 178km (by ASO)

Last stages of the series of the sprinters. After this one, they will have to wait Spain to hope for another win. The finsh line is drawn in front of the walls of the fortress of Carcassonne.

Stage 14 : Carcassone -> Portée-Puymorens // High Mountain // 165km (by Unipublic)

Even if the totality of the stage is drawn in France, this stage is organized by Unipublic in the very pure spirit of La Vuelta. Long and difficult pyrenean pass, a short downhill portion to reach the finish line. Leaders will be on duty.

Stage 15 : Llivià -> Sant Feliu de Codines // Medium Moutain // 177km (by Unipublic)

We begin with another exclave : Llivià, a bit of spain surround by France. That's a very difficult stage to enter in spain. Reaching the rest day in Barcelona, riders will ave to fight along several climbs that cannot let a sprinter win. Punchers will feast that day.

REST DAY IN Barcelona

Stage 16 : Barcelona -> Tortosa // Flat // 201km (by Unipublic)

Despite the climb in the beginning of the day, this stage is designed to crown a sprinter. Riders will take off early to reach Tortosa and get on their bus to a transfert to Madrid.

Stage 17 : Madrid -> Segovia // High Moutain // 273km (by Unipublic)

After a night in the spanish capital, this is a stage for the strong guys ! Beginning by a dirt road climb to reach Segovia passing the Puerto de la Morcuera and the Puerto de Cotos, justice of the peace for today's win. What about the leaders you said? If the 30km downhill to Segovia don't frightening them, they can play something along the road.

Stage 18 : Segovia -> Soria // Flat // 216km (by Unipublic)

Another long day for the teams, the last one for a Breakaway specialist, no doubt sprinter can compete for the win on this one so it will be a hard fight.

Stage 19 : Logroño -> Argalario // High Mountain // 214km (by Unipublic)

The difficulty of the stage is in the distance. 214km to reach Euskadi and the final clim of Argalario. Leaders will certainly want to stay warm in the pack until the final climb, unless, someone has nothing to lose and everything to win in the marathon run !

Stage 20 : Donostia -> Donostia // ITT // 40km (by Unipublic)

Last chances for the leftovers leaders to win something. This very difficult ITT will crown the winner of the Tour, without any doubt. The first 10 kilometers are up and down a quite difficult climb and the last 25 are fully flat. Everybody will have something to say.

Stage 21 : Saint-Germain-en-Layes -> Paris-Champs Élysées // Flat // 125km (by ASO)

One last stage, one trip to Paris, one visit to the world famous monument that flourish in the capitale of France. After that, we will begin the traditionnal 7 laps around the Champs-Elysées to end this wonderful edition.