IMPORTANT: due to people using bots to scrape the website data, we have to restrict the access to the races only to people with an account. We hope that for now this will be temporay.

IMPORTANT: Routing and Elevation API are limited to 7000 calls per day. In case they are expired, they won't work until limit is re-charged. You can try in this case to do a GPX on RideWithGPS site and import it on the editor

Please don't spam us mail and PMs that we won't answer and notice that the official language of forum is English.

Comment with us the races in the Telegram Chat

New Contest Season is on: Contest 3

Follow us on Twitter: @laflammerouge16

Contest #4 - The Merckxian Grand Tour

Moderator: Tracking Contests

emmea90
Direttore Sportivo terza divisione

Post by emmea90 »

Contest #4 it's again a Grand Tour, this time will be fully dedicated to the GOAT (after Mathieu Van der Poel, of course |rules )

Constraints
  • You have to draw an European Grand Tour, you can choose the zones you want but must include Belgium, Italy and France plus a country at your choice. You must do at least 5 stages in each of those countries
  • At least 18 finishes must present the same finish (finish line positions / last climb if was a mountain stage / same finish if it was a classic) of a Merckx victory
  • You must include at least 2 finishes from a Giro d'Italia victory and 2 finishes from a Tour de France victory plus a finish from one of the four World Championships victories (that includes at least 3 laps of the World Circuit in the stage - remember, we have all the World Championships circuits in our archive: maps/races?calendar%5B0%5D=8&years=all)
  • For the classics:
  • Transfers between stages should be realistic
  • Tour should be fitted to riders with Merckx Characteristic, so ITT must be balanced with mtf
  • Grand Tour MUST be drawn with 1970s rules
    • Route will last 23 days. Up to you if you want to insert rest days, you can also not do it
    • You must insert half-stages from a minimum of 4 (one day = 2 or 3 half stages) and a maximum of 10 (five days) half stages.
    • You can insert only a day divided in 3 half-stages and you can't insert a day divided in more than 3 half-stages.
    • Stage limit is still 240Km, you can go up with one stage until a maximum of 330 km and not 260 as it's now (remember, if you split a stage in half stages, the limit is the sum of daily kms)
    • Route must start with a prologue, can be also a TTT prologue
    • There must be at least 3 ITTs and one TTT or four ITTs. Usually ITTs at that time were short half-stages when TDF visited big cities. I suggest to have a look at the routes of TDF won by Merckx
    • As tour tool doesn't support rest days and half-stages, please specify them in the description and/or in presentation
Deadline will be sunday, august 4, h 23.59

Please all use Tour de France 2019 2d style
Software Engineer, Cycling Fanatic
YellowJersey
Spettatore

Re: Contest #4 - The Merckxian Grand Tour

Post by YellowJersey »

Is 4 the limit of countries we can use?
emmea90

Post by emmea90 »

YellowJersey wrote: 04/07/2019, 20:38 Is 4 the limit of countries we can use?
Is the MINIMUM limit
YellowJersey
Spettatore

Post by YellowJersey »

Ah so I assume the minimum of 5 stages in those countries means it is on all of them together, not a minimum of 5 stages in each
jajoejoe
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by jajoejoe »

Do you have to use a certain type of profile style like the last contest? I’m using the Retro Style at the moment
emmea90

Post by emmea90 »

jajoejoe wrote: 05/07/2019, 14:07 Do you have to use a certain type of profile style like the last contest? I’m using the Retro Style at the moment
Yes, please all use Tour de France 2019 style 2d
Arnorius
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by Arnorius »

A stage that starts in Italy and finishes in France for example, for which country does that stage count?
emmea90

Post by emmea90 »

Arnorius wrote: 05/07/2019, 17:58 A stage that starts in Italy and finishes in France for example, for which country does that stage count?
The country in which the stage has the most part.
Arnorius
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by Arnorius »

At least 18 finishes must present the same finish (finish line positions / last climb if was a mountain stage / same finish if it was a classic) of a Merckx victory

How do we find those finish line positions? For some races it is on this site but 95% of his victories are not mapped i think.
emmea90

Post by emmea90 »

Arnorius wrote: 07/07/2019, 9:55 At least 18 finishes must present the same finish (finish line positions / last climb if was a mountain stage / same finish if it was a classic) of a Merckx victory

How do we find those finish line positions? For some races it is on this site but 95% of his victories are not mapped i think.
Well if it's in a Mountain it's obvious, if it's in a City, not a problem of course if it's in another place, the important is to finish in the same city.
jajoejoe
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by jajoejoe »

Maybe a dumb question, but I'm trying to make my presentation at the moment and I just can't figure out how to add the images to my reply. Probably not the best place to ask this but nevermind.
emmea90

Post by emmea90 »

jajoejoe wrote: 07/07/2019, 19:54 Maybe a dumb question, but I'm trying to make my presentation at the moment and I just can't figure out how to add the images to my reply. Probably not the best place to ask this but nevermind.
Upload the images on an hosting website, then link them with

Code: Select all

[img]Link[/img]
jajoejoe
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by jajoejoe »

maps/tours/view/12188

This is my submission for this contest. This is possibly one of the hardest things I've done as 18 cities where Eddy won is hard when most of those victories aren't even known of where those victories took place.

Stage 1
The first stage is a prologue and as you can see I was inspired by the prologue of this year's Giro d'Italia. After the start in front of the Wittem Monastery the riders will ride over the up and down roads of the Geul valley before they arrive in Valkenburg. In Valkenburg the riders will start to climb the infamous Cauberg to commemorate Merckx's victories in the 1973 and 1975 Amstel Gold Race.

Stage 2A
Stage 2 will be split in half where 2A is dedicated to his victories in the Liege-Bastogne-Liege events of 1969, 1971, 1972,1973 and 1975. After a few hills the riders will aproach Liege where they will climb the uncategorised climb to Thier-a-Liege where there are some Boni seconds to win. The last few kilometers will be mostly flat and the finish is in front of the Rocourt Kinepolis where once stood the Rocourt Velodrome where Merckx grabbed many victories.

Stage2B
Stage 2B will be a hectic, short and cobbly (don't know if that's a word but IDC) stage. Although the cobbles won't decide this stage the riders and especially the sprinters need to watch out on the winding roads and small cobble sectors. The finish will be in Eddy's birthtown

Stage 3
The next stage will honour is victories in the 1969 and 1975 Ronde van Vlaanderen. The finish will be in Ninove as it used to in those days. I copied the Muur-Bosberg combination but went a little alternative after that, I added a few other cobble sectors after that to spice things up a little.

Stage 4
The next stage goes to Putte-Kapellen where Eddy won the sluitingsprijs in 1967. Nothing else to say about this stage really, will be a straight on sprint

Stage 5
This stage goes to Ichtegem where the Omloop van de Westhoek takes place every year. Eddy won this race in 1976. The stage finishes in Ichtegem after a few local laps. The cobble sector isn't going to decide anything in this stage.

Stage 6
Where going into France now with this stage and it'll be a TTT from Lille to Roubaix where it finishes right in front of the famous velodrome, finishing on the velodrome wouldn't be possible. This is of course to commemorate his wins in the Paris-Roubaix editions of 1968, 1970 and 1973.

Stage 7
On we go to Fourmies where Merckx won the 1973 GP de Fourmies / La Voix du Nord, which was a stage race at the time. The stage goes over the local circuit known from the GP de Fourmies as it is nowadays.

Stage 8
This stage isn't dedicated to Merckx in any way, shape or form, it's just used as a stage to reach the Vosges quickly. It is flat for the first 200 and something kilometers before the riders start the ascent to the town of Mousson. thoe finish will be downhill in Pont-a-Mousson.

Stage 9
Into the Mountains we go with this stage. After the Col de la Schlucht, Route des Cretes, Grand Ballon and the Col de Hundsruck, the riders will have to ascent to glory. The finish will be on the Ballon d'Alsace, where Eddy Merckx got his first TdF stage victory in 1969, also the first year Merckx won the TdF 50 years ago. The riders can go all out this stage because a rest day will follow.

~~~~ REST DAY ~~~~

Stage 10A
After the rest day the riders will have to face the mountains again, although it is only one done multiple times from different sides. The steep Mont Saleve will be done 3 times in just over 100KM, this stage has the potential to be a great one. Gaillard was the site of the 9th stage of the 1974 TdF where Eddy won.

Stage 10B
The second part of stage 10 will be fought out on the not so steep climb to Sainte-Croix, a town where Merckx won the first stage of the 1975 Tour de Romandie. It will be a reduced group fighting for the win as the last climb isn't hard enough to make any difference.

Stage 11
Stage 11 is one for the sprinters again. The stage starts in Vaumarcus, known for it's castle and finishes in Frauenfeld where Merckx won stage 8 of the 1975 Tour de Suisse. Furthermore this stage will just be a sprinter's intermezzo.

Stage 12
The riders will add another country to their list this stage as the finish will be in Vaduz, Liechtenstein's capital city. The first half of the stage is hard with alot of ups and downs whereas the second part is mostly faact with the climbs of the Schellenberg and Triesenberg. The ascent of the Triesenbarg passes Schloss Vaduz where the climb is partly cobbles, but because I couldn't locate the start and finish of this sector it doesn't show up in the profile.

Stage 13
The next stage could possibly be the hardest stage of the tour, with the infamous climbs of the Oberalp-, Furka-, and Nufenenpass, the riders will have to face the cobbles of the Passo San Gottardo. HC climbs and cobbles, what would you want more?

Stage 14A
The last half stage combination is a ITT around Bellinzona, the Swiss town wher Merckx got his last victory of his career during stage 6 of the 1977 Tour de Suisse.

Stage 14B
The second part of the stage is a commemoration to his World Championship victory in Mendrisio in the year of 1971. The hardest part of this stage is the fact that there is barely any descent after the last climb.

Stage 15
This stage to Como is ofcourse a stage which follows part of the 1971 and 1972 route of the Giro di Lombardia. With the San Fermo della Battaglia climb in the end it will be either a breakaway or a strong sprinter who will win in Como next to the beuatiful lake.

~~~~ REST DAY ~~~~

Stage 16
Just a flat stage to Novara today. This will be the last stage for the sprinters as it will be just hills, mountains and a ITT after this. In Novara Eddy Merckx won stage 1 of the 1968 Giro d'Italia.

Stage 17
Mountains again! In this stage the riders will have to face 3 HC climbs and 1 1st category climb on their way to the city of Aosta in the Aosta valley. Aosta was also the place where Merckx won stage 4 of the 1973 Giro d'Italia.

Stage 18
More mountains for the riders today as they'll have to climb the Monte Jafferau. Will the riders crack like Yates or be a hero like Froome here? This stage isn't dedicated to one of the most famous stages in giro history it is in honour of Merckx's victory here during stage 14 of the 1972 Giro d'Italia.

Stage 19
This stage will finish uphill again on the steep sloaps on the way to a sanctuar. First the riders have to face the climb to Sestriere and this in combination with the long descent makes the first part of this stage hard to control for the GC contestors' teams and with the hard stage of the day after the GC contenders want to save their energy.

Stage 20
This stage could be fireworks. Normally a finish in San Remo would mean a groupsprint, but not this stage. With 2 2nd category climbs and 1 1st category climb the peloton will be small before the final HC climb where riders who are down on the leader can attack on their road to glory maybe. The last 15 odd kilometers are identical to Milano-San Remo, a race Eddy Merckx won 7 times: In 1966, 1967, 1969, 1971, 1972, 1975 and 1976.

Stage 21
The last stage is an ITT from Monaco to Nice. Although Eddy never won a stage in Nice, he won the race 3 times in a row from 1969 to 1971. Who will be the victor of the GC? Will the leader be able to hold on to his lead in this ITT, or will a rider furtherdown the classification secure the GC lead a la Dumoulin 2017?
Last edited by jajoejoe on 08/07/2019, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
jajoejoe
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by jajoejoe »

jajoejoe wrote: 08/07/2019, 13:32 maps/tours/view/12188

This is my submission for this contest. This is possibly one of the hardest things I've done as 18 cities where Eddy won is hard when most of those victories aren't even known of where those victories took place.

Stage 1
The first stage is a prologue and as you can see I was inspired by the prologue of this year's Giro d'Italia. After the start in front of the Wittem Monastery the riders will ride over the up and down roads of the Geul valley before they arrive in Valkenburg. In Valkenburg the riders will start to climb the infamous Cauberg to commemorate Merckx's victories in the 1973 and 1975 Amstel Gold Race.

Stage 2A
Stage 2 will be split in half where 2A is dedicated to his victories in the Liege-Bastogne-Liege events of 1969, 1971, 1972,1973 and 1975. After a few hills the riders will aproach Liege where they will climb the uncategorised climb to Thier-a-Liege where there are some Boni seconds to win. The last few kilometers will be mostly flat and the finish is in front of the Rocourt Kinepolis where once stood the Rocourt Velodrome where Merckx grabbed many victories.

Stage2B
Stage 2B will be a hectic, short and cobbly (don't know if that's a word but IDC) stage. Although the cobbles won't decide this stage the riders and especially the sprinters need to watch out on the winding roads and small cobble sectors. The finish will be in Eddy's birthtown

Stage 3
The next stage will honour is victories in the 1969 and 1975 Ronde van Vlaanderen. The finish will be in Ninove as it used to in those days. I copied the Muur-Bosberg combination but went a little alternative after that, I added a few other cobble sectors after that to spice things up a little.

Stage 4
The next stage goes to Putte-Kapellen where Eddy won the sluitingsprijs in 1967. Nothing else to say about this stage really, will be a straight on sprint

Stage 5
This stage goes to Ichtegem where the Omloop van de Westhoek takes place every year. Eddy won this race in 1976. The stage finishes in Ichtegem after a few local laps. The cobble sector isn't going to decide anything in this stage.

Stage 6
Where going into France now with this stage and it'll be a TTT from Lille to Roubaix where it finishes right in front of the famous velodrome, finishing on the velodrome wouldn't be possible. This is of course to commemorate his wins in the Paris-Roubaix editions of 1968, 1970 and 1973.

Stage 7
On we go to Fourmies where Merckx won the 1973 GP de Fourmies / La Voix du Nord, which was a stage race at the time. The stage goes over the local circuit known from the GP de Fourmies as it is nowadays.

Stage 8
This stage isn't dedicated to Merckx in any way, shape or form, it's just used as a stage to reach the Vosges quickly. It is flat for the first 200 and something kilometers before the riders start the ascent to the town of Mousson. thoe finish will be downhill in Pont-a-Mousson.

Stage 9
Into the Mountains we go with this stage. After the Col de la Schlucht, Route des Cretes, Grand Ballon and the Col de Hundsruck, the riders will have to ascent to glory. The finish will be on the Ballon d'Alsace, where Eddy Merckx got his first TdF stage victory in 1969, also the first year Merckx won the TdF 50 years ago. The riders can go all out this stage because a rest day will follow.

~~~~ REST DAY ~~~~

Stage 10A
After the rest day the riders will have to face the mountains again, although it is only one done multiple times from different sides. The steep Mont Saleve will be done 3 times in just over 100KM, this stage has the potential to be a great one. Gaillard was the site of the 9th stage of the 1974 TdF where Eddy won.

Stage 10B
The second part of stage 10 will be fought out on the not so steep climb to Sainte-Croix, a town where Merckx won the first stage of the 1975 Tour de Romandie. It will be a reduced group fighting for the win as the last climb isn't hard enough to make any difference.

Stage 11
Stage 11 is one for the sprinters again. The stage starts in Vaumarcus, known for it's castle and finishes in Frauenfeld where Merckx won stage 8 of the 1975 Tour de Suisse. Furthermore this stage will just be a sprinter's intermezzo.

Stage 12
The riders will add another country to their list this stage as the finish will be in Vaduz, Liechtenstein's capital city. The first half of the stage is hard with alot of ups and downs whereas the second part is mostly faact with the climbs of the Schellenberg and Triesenberg. The ascent of the Triesenbarg passes Schloss Vaduz where the climb is partly cobbles, but because I couldn't locate the start and finish of this sector it doesn't show up in the profile.

Stage 13
The next stage could possibly be the hardest stage of the tour, with the infamous climbs of the Oberalp-, Furka-, and Nufenenpass, the riders will have to face the cobbles of the Passo San Gottardo. HC climbs and cobbles, what would you want more?

Stage 14A
The last half stage combination is a ITT around Bellinzona, the Swiss town wher Merckx got his last victory of his career during stage 6 of the 1977 Tour de Suisse.

Stage 14B
The second part of the stage is a commemoration to his World Championship victory in Mendrisio in the year of 1971. The hardest part of this stage is the fact that there is barely any descent after the last climb.

Stage 15
This stage to Como is ofcourse a stage which follows part of the 1971 and 1972 route of the Giro di Lombardia. With the San Fermo della Battaglia climb in the end it will be either a breakaway or a strong sprinter who will win in Como next to the beuatiful lake.

~~~~ REST DAY ~~~~

Stage 16
Just a flat stage to Novara today. This will be the last stage for the sprinters as it will be just hills, mountains and a ITT after this. In Novara Eddy Merckx won stage 1 of the 1968 Giro d'Italia.

Stage 17
Mountains again! In this stage the riders will have to face 3 HC climbs and 1 1st category climb on their way to the city of Aosta in the Aosta valley. Aosta was also the place where Merckx won stage 4 of the 1973 Giro d'Italia.

Stage 18
More mountains for the riders today as they'll have to climb the Monte Jafferau. Will the riders crack like Yates or be a hero like Froome here? This stage isn't dedicated to one of the most famous stages in giro history it is in honour of Merckx's victory here during stage 14 of the 1972 Giro d'Italia.

Stage 19
This stage will finish uphill again on the steep sloaps on the way to a sanctuar. First the riders have to face the climb to Sestriere and this in combination with the long descent makes the first part of this stage hard to control for the GC contestors' teams and with the hard stage of the day after the GC contenders want to save their energy.

Stage 20
This stage could be fireworks. Normally a finish in San Remo would mean a groupsprint, but not this stage. With 2 2nd category climbs and 1 1st category climb the peloton will be small before the final HC climb where riders who are down on the leader can attack on their road to glory maybe. The last 15 odd kilometers are identical to Milano-San Remo, a race Eddy Merckx won 7 times: In 1966, 1967, 1969, 1971, 1972, 1975 and 1976.

Stage 21
The last stage is an ITT from Monaco to Nice. Although Eddy never won a stage in Nice, he won the race 3 times in a row from 1969 to 1971. Who will be the victor of the GC? Will the leader be able to hold on to his lead in this ITT, or will a rider furtherdown the classification secure the GC lead a la Dumoulin 2017?
I give up. Just look click the link and view my stages that way
Arnorius
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by Arnorius »

Do you use the url or image-url? I think that's teh problem :)

easiest way to do it is uploading your images to this site: https://imgbb.com/

Then open the image, right click on it and copy image-url.
jibvalverde
Tifoso
Tifoso

Post by jibvalverde »

A few questions :

1) Was Grand Piemonte 1972 like 2018's edition or tougher ? I couldn't find any information of the edition 1972...

2) If a stage isn't possible anymore, with a moutain last climb nearly impossible to put in the stage but it's the same idea of the stage and the same city of finish, it's ok ?

3) "Route will last 23 days. Up to you if you want to insert rest days, you can also not do it" It's 23 days with rest day or not ?
emmea90

Post by emmea90 »

jibvalverde wrote: 12/07/2019, 0:48 A few questions :

1) Was Grand Piemonte 1972 like 2018's edition or tougher ? I couldn't find any information of the edition 1972...

2) If a stage isn't possible anymore, with a moutain last climb nearly impossible to put in the stage but it's the same idea of the stage and the same city of finish, it's ok ?

3) "Route will last 23 days. Up to you if you want to insert rest days, you can also not do it" It's 23 days with rest day or not ?
1) The route was indeed tougher, Merckx attacked on Mottarone and the top of the climb was at 60 to go, with last 5kms unsurfaced. Start and finish in these years were in Marano Ticino. Don't have any other infos

2) The stage should remain a mountain stage

3) It means 23 days of stages+rest. If you put 0 rest days it's 23 days. If you put 2 rest days it's 21 stage days + 2 rest days.
jibvalverde
Tifoso
Tifoso

Post by jibvalverde »

emmea90 wrote: 12/07/2019, 9:07

1) The route was indeed tougher, Merckx attacked on Mottarone and the top of the climb was at 60 to go, with last 5kms unsurfaced. Start and finish in these years were in Marano Ticino. Don't have any other infos

3) It means 23 days of stages+rest. If you put 0 rest days it's 23 days. If you put 2 rest days it's 21 stage days + 2 rest days.
1) Thanks, i will adapt my route.

2) i would adapt Geneva-Aoste by San Carlo (160km at the time, impossible now in less than 250km) in a Sion-Aoste by Grand Saint-Bernard

3) it will be 23 without rest so...
emmea90

Post by emmea90 »

jibvalverde wrote: 12/07/2019, 16:23

2) i would adapt Geneva-Aoste by San Carlo (160km at the time, impossible now in less than 250km) in a Sion-Aoste by Grand Saint-Bernard

Is it possibile if you do Mont-Blanc tunnel (are you sure they didn't it in 1973)?. You have to keep San Carlo if you want to end in Aosta to be "counted"
jibvalverde
Tifoso
Tifoso

Post by jibvalverde »

emmea90 wrote: 12/07/2019, 16:33
jibvalverde wrote: 12/07/2019, 16:23

Is it possibile if you do Mont-Blanc tunnel (are you sure they didn't it in 1973)?. You have to keep San Carlo if you want to end in Aosta to be "counted"
Never a race will pass by a so long tunnel, is it ? It's not a problem if not counted. Gran Piermonte is my 18th "Merckx arrival".