Contests are back: Link

Editor has still troubles with free API, if you don't want to use OSM Elevation API you can try to do a GPX on RideWithGPS site and import it on the editor

Please don't spam us mail and PMs that we won't answer and notice that the official language of forum is English.

Roadbooks: LINK

Comment with us the races in the discussion thread or in the Telegram Chat

2020 Season Contests
Contest #7 - VOTING: Link
Contest #8 - Vuelta a Espana: Link

Heat map: Tour de France editions

General talk about the art of tracking.
enriqueADV
Spettatore

Heat map: Tour de France editions

Post by enriqueADV »

Hi all
Since several time ago I'm trying to find a way to represent in one map stages from different editions of the Tour de France, so you can get a kind of heat map where you can visualize the roads most frequently used in the TdF. As a reference, the Strava heatmap for example.
Also, ideally it would be great that you can select the year(s) you want to show, so the TdF editions are layers on the map.
I know that going back into the old editions is not easy or possible at all (not enough data of the exact route or roads were different to the current ones), but for the last decades it's possible to find or elaborate tracks. La Flamme Rouge has done the tracks of the TdF from 2002 on, which it's a great starting point.

I'm talking about the TdF because the amount of information available and general interest, but obviously this could be done for other gran tours, monuments, multi-stage races, etc.

I like digital cartography but I'm not an expert on software/apps/webs that could do this TdF heatmap, so I'm asking for tools to start to work in this project, with preference for open source software.
Thanks in advance for any suggestion or recommendation.
Cheers
Enrique