Contests are back: Link

Editor has still troubles with free API, if you don't want to use OSM Elevation API you can try to do a GPX on RideWithGPS site and import it on the editor

Please don't spam us mail and PMs that we won't answer and notice that the official language of forum is English.

Roadbooks: LINK

Comment with us the races in the discussion thread or in the Telegram Chat

2020 Season Contests
Contest #7 - VOTING: Link
Contest #8 - Vuelta a Espana: Link

Polish pavè

General talk about the art of tracking.
marco.berri
Spettatore

Polish pavè

Post by marco.berri »

Every year there's a period in which I fall in love with pavè. Generally, this period comes in conjunction with the early north classics. This year I asked myself why pavè exists only from Paris to Amsterdam so I first checked in my country, Italy, but I couldn't find anything interesting... I was searching for pavè segments out of town centres as in Paris-Roubaix. I analyzed the morphology of those lands and I found a similar one in Poland. Not only the presence of big rivers and forests, but it's also important the historical and economic aspects. By the way, I soon started tracking cobble sectors on the editor and I found the best and also well maintained pavè streets that I've ever seen. The only problem I had is the lack of Google street view in many places so that it's difficult to verify if they are made of cobblestones or not.
Finally, this is my contest purpose:

Draw the route of a classic race which totally takes place in Poland. The start and finish point should be in rather big cities or famous places (at least the finish point).
Length: from 200 to 250km.
Cobble Sectors: at least 4. The finish line should be at maximum 20 km after the last cobble sector.
I Published a few cobbled sectors on the editor, so I suggest you find the others through google street view where it's possible.

It's not an official contest so I ask you to send me your projects just down here.
Thanks for your attention and good luck with your work!

kubu
Spettatore

Re: Polish pavè

Post by kubu »

Every year there's a period in which I hate the pavè. Generally, this period comes in conjunction with my summer holidays. This year I asked myself why pavè exists always on my route when touring on bike around Poland. :)
Cobblestones out of town centres are left mainly on less significant roads. When cycling on my holidays I prefer to choose roads that have not so much traffic and that's why sometimes (not every year) I find pavè on my way.

This year in one area I found so many cobble sectors, that I called it "hell of the east" and suggested that a replacement for Paris-Roubaix could be staged there. I can draw a route of a classic race there, but I would prefer to start it in the neighboring country in a big city (instead of Paris) and finish in a small one, although with a stadium (much like Roubaix. Also the lenght might slightly exceed 250km, again, just like Paris-Roubaix.
I'm not sure when I will work on that route, but should be ready before your next honeymoon with pavè. ;)

marco.berri
Spettatore

Re: Polish pavè

Post by marco.berri »

As you said this could be the opportunity to replace the Paris-Roubaix with a pavè-race placed in Poland!