IMPORTANT: due to people using bots to scrape the website data, we have to restrict the access to the races only to people with an account. We hope that for now this will be temporay.

IMPORTANT: Routing and Elevation API are limited to 7000 calls per day. In case they are expired, they won't work until limit is re-charged. You can try in this case to do a GPX on RideWithGPS site and import it on the editor

Please don't spam us mail and PMs that we won't answer and notice that the official language of forum is English.

Comment with us the races in the Telegram Chat

New Contest Season is on: Contest 3

Follow us on Twitter: @laflammerouge16

New Feature: 3d maps - To activate it, follow this guide

Contest 3: The Monuments

Moderator: Tracking Contests

Will4563
Allievo
Allievo

Contest 3: The Monuments

Post by Will4563 »

The 3rd contest is to remake the 5 (6) monuments, and Strade Biancha. The races should still have there characteristics.

The races is these:
Strade Biancha: Gravel race starting and finishing in Siena
Milano > Sanremo: Get from one of Milanos Suburbs to Sanremo in less than 300 Km
Ronde van Vlaanderen: Lots of climbs and cobbled climbs in Flanders
Paris > Roubaix: Cobble race finishing on the Velodrome in Roubaix
Liege > Bastogne > Liege: Lots of climbs in the Ardennes, starting and finishing in Liege and passing through Bastogne
Il Lombardia: Climbing race in Lombardy

Please leave all the stages in on Tour

The deadline will be Friday the 31st of March
benoît.guillot
Juniores
Juniores

Re: Contest 3: The Monuments

Post by benoît.guillot »

The Monuments
For this contest, I tried to improve the world famous monuments, they are longer, harder, different in ways that can make them more interresting to watch from the edge of the road or behind our televisions.

maps/tours/view/22610

Strade Bianche

The race keeps a similar mileage and the same legendary finish but the route chooses to start north rather than south of Siena. The main new difficulty is halfway with the Poggio Querciabella

Milano - San Remo

The start has been moved to another city in the suburbs of Milan, the Turchino has been replaced by the Colle del Giovo but the two main novelties are at the end of the course with the appearance of the Colle di Cervo and its gravel path and above all with the repetition of the ascent of the Poggio.

Ronde van Vlaanderen

We keep an atmosphere similar to the original race but we add new things. The Kemmelberg appeared at the start of the race, shortly after the start from Ieper. The final is modified to become a repetition of two circuits with always the sequence Oude Kwaremont - Paterberg as justice of the peace.

Paris - Roubaix

The big novelty lies at the start of the race with the start moved to Soissons and the appearance of several climbs in the first kilometers to launch the breakaway. If the main cobbled sections are present, again make their entry into the race with, among other things, a dirt road which directly follows the Trouée d'Arenberg.

Liège - Bastogne- Liège

The course is longer and more difficult, new bumps appear at the beginning of the course and the end resumes the old course via the Côte de Saint-Nicolas which will be a perfect launching pad for the finish. The middle of the race will also be marked by the tribute paid to the Easy Company which fought in the winter of 1944-45 in the woods of Foy.

Il L]ombardia

The race will be longer and harder. We will practically be on a high mountain stage. Deviations may occur from the Colma di Sormamo which extends the Madonna del Ghisallo. The ascent of Civiglio is replaced by that of Brunate, just next door, longer and more difficult.
KristanStrømhyldenHimo
Spettatore

Post by KristanStrømhyldenHimo »

The Monuments

maps/tours/view/22631

Strade Bianche (Siena - Siena 163 km)
The first of the "Monuments" have been altered to go further North-West than previous editions, which brings Monte Maggio into the race. The "Colombaiolo" is also a new interesting twist to the final kilometers.

Milano-Sanremo (Gaggiano - San Remo 299,1 km)
As an attempt to end the neverending discussion of wheter you should bring a sprinter or a puncheur, I've added part of the Pompeiana climb between the Cipressa and the Poggio. The Passo del Turchino has also been replaced by three seperate new climbs, for the race to be under the 300 km limit.

Ronde van Vlaanderen (Lochristi - Ronse 252,8 km)
Even though I like the Oude-Kwaaremont/Paterberg ending they tend to use nowadays, there is no harm in suggesting an alternate ending to this race. To not eliminate them entirely I have placed them before Koppenberg and Steenbeekdries, to hopefully encourage a close but intriguing battle on the roads towards Ronse. The first 100 km includes visits to Lochristi (birthplace of three times winner, Achiel Buysse), Lokeren (birthplace of Greg van Avermaet) and the legandary Kapelmuur. I have also tried to organize the route in such manner that it is actually possible to understand it when first looked at, instead of being a cluster of roads.

Paris-Roubaix (Amiens - Roubaix 258,9 km)
To face the inevitable criticism face on; i know Amiens ain't that close to Paris, but it's only half an hour further away than Compiégne, so I allowed myself that freedom. Going in to making this route I had one simple plan: Chuck as many 4* and 5* sectors in to the route and see what sticks. This route ain't no rocket science, but the riders will surely be begging for a well deserved rest long before reaching the velodrome. With the roads from Amiens to Bapaume seemingly being drawed with a ruler, and being covered by open fields as far as the eye can see, outsider teams looking to reek havoc will have a chance to do that, if the wind is on their side.

Liege-Bastogne-Liege (Liege - Liege 288,7 km)
Realising a bit too late that you really should go the west side down to Bastogne, before using the east side on the return, proved to be an extra challenge. But the route seems to go up and down either way, so the puncheurs will still have a field day. Bringing back Côte de Saint-Nicolas will also provide an oppurtunity near the end if the race is still all together.

Il Lombardia (Colico Piano - Lecco 246 km)
Lake Como is beautiful and all, but personally I think the racing itself is the main spectacle. To satisfy both side of the argument the Race of the Falling Leaves will depart and arrive on each side of the lake. Between Colico Piano and Lecco the climbers will the have the oppurtunity to take home the final monument of the season. The hard mountains throughout the race will wear the riders out, and the one with the freshest legs can decide the race on the Valcava or the Colle di Consonna, or even the short, but steep, hills close to Lecco.

Last edited by KristanStrømhyldenHimo on 27/03/2023, 13:50, edited 4 times in total.
benoît.guillot
Juniores
Juniores

Post by benoît.guillot »

KristanStrømhyldenHimo wrote: 11/03/2023, 0:48
(Sorry for not providing pictures of the profiles. This is my first entry, so I don't know how to find the image_url.)
Download the profiles pictures from the editor then upload them in an image host on internet to have url you can use ;)
KristanStrømhyldenHimo
Spettatore

benoît.guillot wrote: 14/03/2023, 8:58
(Sorry for not providing pictures of the profiles. This is my first entry, so I don't know how to find the image_url.)
Download the profiles pictures from the editor then upload them in an image host on internet to have url you can use ;)
Yeah, I tried to do that, but I got an error message saying that "You can’t post image, email or url links that are external to this domain."
benoît.guillot
Juniores
Juniores

Post by benoît.guillot »

KristanStrømhyldenHimo wrote: 14/03/2023, 13:17
benoît.guillot wrote: 14/03/2023, 8:58
Yeah, I tried to do that, but I got an error message saying that "You can’t post image, email or url links that are external to this domain."
Even by using the [img] ? Cause that work for everyone else
MountainMaster
Spettatore

Post by MountainMaster »

Tour Link
maps/tours/view/22615

Strade Bianche > Siena-Siena > 221 Km - Link
I think more distance is needed to Strade Bianche be considered a real monument, so that's what I did. The race is now 37km longer and has nearly 90km of white roads in comparison to the 63km used in the real race.
The race maintains most of its traditional roads, with some modifications, though: Montalcino substituted by Castiglion del Bosco; the race goes north in Monteaperti and explores new sectors; Vico Alto ramp is now 900m longer while maintaining the steepness.

——————————

Milano-Sanremo > Rozzano-Sanremo > 296 Km - Link
The start has moved to Rozzano, just 9km south of Milan. The rest of the route is practically the same, except the inclusion of two climbs: Civezza and Pompeiana.
The objective is toughen up the race and perhaps increase attacks before Poggio.

——————————

Ronde van Vlaanderen > Oostende-Geraardsbergen > 268 Km - Link
The race starts in Ostend, a coastal city 22km east of Bruges that receive Ronde for the first time. The finish is in the more known Geraardsbergen, also for the first time.
My objective was to insert Muur-Kapelmuur again in the race, in a decisive phase, without returning the finish to Meerbeke. The trio Oude Kwaremont-Paterberg-Koppenberg is still present in the last 50km of the race.

——————————

Paris-Roubaix > Compiègne-Roubaix > 267 Km - Link
Four new cobbled sectors are included: Troisville à Viesly, Querenaing à Artres, Artres à Famars and Famars à Aulnoy-lez-Valenciennes.
The race has more 10km with 59km of cobbled sectors.

——————————

Liège-Bastogne-Liège > Liège-Liège > 262 Km - Link
The way to Bastogne is almost unchanged, however, there're a lot of modifications in the way back to Liège. From the 2022 route only Rosier, Redoute and Roche-aux-Faucons stays. Maquisard and Saint-Nicolas were last used in 2020 and 2019, respectively. The rest is new, including an incursion in the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps.
The Côte de Saint-Nicolas is now the last climb of the race, 9km from the finish, and the riders will pass by Liège center before finishing near Pont de Belle-Île as usual.

——————————

Il Lombardia > Brescia-Como (Civiglio) > 261 Km - Link
The second most populated city in Lombardy, Brescia, is set to host the start of the race for the first time. The finish is maintained in the Como area, but now is a mountain top finish in Civiglio.
The route will suit even more pure climbers, with a total of 5630m of vertical meters to climb.
mauro
Under 23
Under 23

Post by mauro »

Here are my “monument races”

maps/tours/view/22676

Strade Bianche
I discovered the existence of 5 dirt roads north of Siena and decided to include them in my Strade Bianche, but to do so I thought of moving the finish line from Siena to the no less fascinating San Gimignano. However, I confirmed the passage from Piazza del Campo, at the end of the initial circuit around Siena, before the start of the dirt roads

Milano-Sanremo

I added three new features to the route managing to keep the departure from Milan: the Colla Micheri climb (taken on at the Trofeo Laigueglia) instead of Capo Mele, a new ascent to Cipressa (first 2 km at 8%) and the ascent of Bussana Vecchia immediately before the Poggio. To contain the mileage (in the end there are 296 km, 2 more than the 2023 edition) he moved kilometer 0 slightly forward, I cut the passage from Casteggio going directly from Pavia to Voghera and inserted some passages in the inhabited centers along the Ligurian coast which are normally bypassed by the Aurelia

Ronde van Vlaanderen

In 2023 the Ronde van Vlaanderen turns 110 and I decided to celebrate the anniversary by choosing Menen as the starting point, the Belgian municipality where Paul Deman, the first winner of the race, was born. Also in this race I added a novelty (the Kemmelberg in the initial section), while for the finish I restored the historic finish line of Meerbeke, preceded by the legendary walls of Grammont and Bosberg, to which I added the Congoberg, another novelty.

Paris- Roubaix

I was thinking about how Roubaix could start from Paris by proposing the main paved sections without breaking through the 300 km limit. Then I remembered that on the banks of the Manche there is a seaside resort called Le Touquet-PARIS-Plage. From that place to reach the lands of the pavé you have to pedal for about 130 km. Here is the route: you disembark on the stones at the historic sector of Mons-en-Pévèle and from there you head south to go through the Arenberg forest’s and then return to Mons-en-Pévèle. This last section is thus covered twice, as is the nearby Bersée (which is tackled first in one direction and then in the other). I have excluded from the route the sections that are usually covered before arriving at Arenberg and in the end there are about ten less.

Liège-Bastogne-Liège

My Liège mixes the current route with the one faced up until a few years ago, when the finish was in Ans. So after the Redoute and the Roche Aux-Facons, you have to face the Côte de Saint-Nicolas and the Côte de la Rue Naniot. After the latter, in the final 17 km it winds through the hills north of Liège facing the short ascents of Montagne Sainte Walburge (800 meters at 8.5%) and Thier-à-Liège (1.1 km at 4.2%)

Giro di Lombardia

I conceived a "revolutionary" Giro di Lombardia on roads never traveled before for 2023, the year in which the cities of Bergamo and Brescia were named Italian capitals of culture. I replaced Ghisallo with Colle del Gallo, at the top of which there is also a sanctuary dedicated to the Madonna of cyclists. Although the 1000 meters of altitude are never exceeded, it is a route that is suitable for climbers thanks to the ascents of the Caposs pass and Monte Maddelena

BETTO
Appassionato
Appassionato

Post by BETTO »

Here my monuments!

I think that in this races we can add some novelty or new choice for the routes, but I believe that the spirit and some historical parts of the routes have to be unchangeble.

Strade Bianche

In strade Bianche in the first half of the race I add the white road (sterrato) Strada del Canalicchio in the Montalcino ascendent and in San Quirico d'Orcia that could make selection early. Then, before Montaperti I put the steep sterrato of Guistrigona. Traditional finish in Piazza del Campo after via Santa Caterina.

Milano - Sanremo

My Milano - Sanremo starts, just like in the 2022 edition, from the historical Velodromo Vigorelli. At half race riders climb Bric del Rou del Contino e Bric Berton just before Colle del Giovo. After the "capi", riders climbs Cipressa from he steepest way, then i put Pompeiana before the Poggio.

Ronde Van Vlaanderen

In my Ronde I put 10 short cobbles sector in the first 100 kms, then at middle route we have a circuit of 14 kms to repeat twice with the historical Bosberg and the mythologic Mur Gramont. In the final part of the race there are Koppenberg to ride twice before the classical circuit with Oude Kwaremont and Pateberg, two passage also there. I move the finish line from Oudennarde to Ronse to put in the final kms Oude Kruisberg and Bosberg just before the arrive.

Paris - Roubaix

My Roubaix is chill until the km 88 where there is the first cobble sector 4700m long of medium difficulty. Riders go through two "easy" sector in Denain before enter Aremberg. I insert the five stars sector from Phalempin to Goundecourt after Mons en Pevèle; in the final, after the classical sequence Bourghelles, Champin en Pevèle, Carrefour de l'Arbre, Gruson I put the short (900m) but very sector Chateau d'Hem that brings riders in Wellems sector. Finish in Roubaix old Velodrome as usual.

Liège - Bastogne - Liège

Onestly I struggled to draw my Liège, probably due to the fact that it is the Monument I like less. Anyway, in the end I am pretty satisfied!
Before Bastogne, the route is hilly but the only real steep cote is Saint Roch; at half race there is Col de la Haussire; then, after classic Rodoute and Roche aux Faucons I put cote du Colonster and the historical Cote of Saint Nicolas. The final 8 kms are still hard: 2 cobbles streets, Rue Pierreuse (800m at 11,5%) and Rue de Tawes (500m) anticipate Cote de Ans, where there is the finish line like in the early 2000s.

Il Lombardia

For my Lombardia I was pretty tempted to use my city (Brescia) and its mountains, but finally I decided to stay loyal to my idea to leave untouched historical retains. My race starts in Bergamo and finishes in Como, in the final I draw a long circuit in which riders climb Civiglio and twice Sormano. In the first part of the race there are 4 passes: two are classics for Lombardia, Roncola Alta and Valcava, while two new climbs are Valle Imagna and Consonno.
Will4563
Allievo
Allievo

Re: Contest 3: The Monuments: Voting

Post by Will4563 »

It's time to vote now. You need to vote for your top 3 favourite routes and argue why. First pick gets 5 points, second 3 and third 1. You cannot vote for yourself.

benoît.guillot: maps/tours/view/22610 (+4 pts)
KristanStrømhyldenHimo: maps/tours/view/22631 (+4 pts)
MountainMaster: maps/tours/view/22615 (+4 pts)
mauro: maps/tours/view/22676 (+4 pts)
BETTO: maps/tours/view/22709 (+3 pts)

Deadline for voting will be April 30.
benoît.guillot
Juniores
Juniores

Post by benoît.guillot »

My vote :

1st : MountainMaster

I don't remember having seen you post anything on another contest and for me you are very much the deal on this first participation! You respect the fans of each race by adding new features, well done.

2nd : Mauro

The Paris-Roubaix is very original and has me much more. You've really managed to find originality in your journeys and you should be congratulated for that.

3rd : BETTO

Some of your races are perfectly to my taste (Lombardia, Le Ronde) but your Paris-Roubaix and your Milan-San Remo left me with a taste of "could do better".
MountainMaster
Spettatore

Post by MountainMaster »

1st: benoît.guillot
Good tracks in overall. There's good improvements while keeping the traditional finish cities.

2nd: BETTO
Good improvements too, like the steepest Cipressa and Sormano as last climb of Lombardia. Ronse finish is a bit far from the city center, however.

3rd: KristanStrømhyldenHimo
Interesting features, like returning the Lombardia finish to Lecco while avoiding the 2011-2013 key points. Liège distance of 288km seems to much.
KristanStrømhyldenHimo
Spettatore

1st MountainMaster
I think you overall presented the best suggestions to improve the monuments, while keeping their characteristics. Totally agree with you that Strade has to be made longer to be viewed as a monument.
2nd mauro
I like the idea of Lombardia going between the two Italian capitals of culture for 2023, as this was unbeknown for me before this, while presenting an interesting route. I applaud your creativity with regards to new elements in your routes, while sticking to the stipulations.
3rd benoît.guillot
Even though I disagree with the hills at the beginning of Paris-Roubaix, and the Poggio circuit, the harder Liege and Lombardia routes makes up for it.
Will4563
Allievo
Allievo

Post by Will4563 »

Here is the ranking:
MountainMaster: 14
benoît.guillot: 10
KristanStrømhyldenHimo: 5
mauro: 0
BETTO: -3
benoît.guillot